Welcome to the UPGRADED LOU!

BlueEye

Matt -

I found the information below on the some reasoning behind the changes to "Read Tracking" from phpBB2 to phpBB3. While I am not myself sure whether or not I agree the following yet, it does offer more insight. I (like yourself) was accustomed to having all the topics be marked as "read" after I logged out each time. Let me think about this more and I will be interested to hear your (and other's) opinion on the issue.

========

the feature that has most changed how I use phpbb.com is the “Read Tracking†feature. In phpBB2 when you log on your “last visit†information is updated with the current date and time. Then that value combined with some cookie manipulation is used to track which topics you have read during your session. When you log out, all remaining unread posts are marked as read.

phpBB3 offers two very important improvements over phpBB2 in this area. Each post is tracked as to whether you have read it or not. More importantly the marks are not reset when you log out. In my role as a moderator this is very important. I can quickly scan the MOD forums (which I like to read and participate in, but don’t really moderate) and then mark the forum as read. But for the phpBB Discussion forums (which are the main area that I moderate) I read each and every topic. In the past I had to dedicate a large block of time every time I went to the board so as to not skip anything. Now if I get a notification of a topic reply, or just have a few spare minutes, I can go visit the board without losing my place in the “moderation queue†that is to say the unread posts in the phpBB Discussion forums.

Chad once again you have out done yourself :!: It's great to see you make improvements (in what was already great) and keeping it user friendly.

Thanks again :)

One last thing, can you make it so that Ray's post come up so that there are periods, commas and spacing between words in his sentences and that it automatically goes to spell check or it won't allow you to post unless it is in proper form.

I thingk./were'... ohl sterting totak like,he,....tiips..,:'{)

That would REALLY enhance the site :!: :lol:

Ray I kid because I care............. ABOUT THE REST OF US :!: ;):lol:

Great site. You guys are the best. Is there a way to mark sites read from main page instead of going into eace site? When I use to leave the site and come back the unread forums would be gone, now they seem to still be there. Am I missing something?

Stan.

Stan -

There is a link I added to the home page called "Mark ALL Forums Read". It is located just above the main forum on the right side there. This is a temp fix for the issue you mentioned. I am not sure what direction I am going to go with this yet but for the time being, this is a suitable alternative until we decide if we want to automate this or not.

Thanks -

Chad