Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Del Gue

Michigan Stinger spoon size

Recommended Posts

 Hello everyone, trying to get some gear together this winter to start fishing Lake Ontario this spring and summer. I’ve read a lot of tips in here (thank you very much by the way) and have 90% of my gear together. I do have a question about spoon size. I plan on trolling for Brown Trout in the spring and King Salmon in the summer and early fall.  As well as meat rigs and flies, I will be trolling with spoons for 

kings. Trying to minimize my budget, what size Michigan Stingers would you recommend for Brown Trout and for King Salmon?  Can you use the same size for both or would you recommend different sizes? 

Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have had best success for browns and kings with the Stinger sizes.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us standard size spoons for spring browns. For Kings mostly Stingray & Mag size.

However either species will hit any of those sizes. Figuring out the "color of the day" more important than the size typically.

When cleaning fish many times we see both small and large baits in their stomachs.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You Need em All (except scorpion size) 

 

Don't limit yourself to just stinger's either. Stingers are great but i wouldn't leave the dock without a few of my favorite Dreamweaver or moonshine spoons.

 

Stinger size, as well as dreamweaver super slims are best for me for browns, especially early spring when water is still very cold. 

 

in April/early May it seems stick baits outproduce spoons for browns most days (For me anyways)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! I do plan on using Moonshine and other brands. I just wanted to know what sizes are producers. I have a cart full of lures at Fat Nancy’s online shop, just waiting to make sure the sizes are right. 

Edited by Del Gue
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rookie fisherman said:

For us standard size spoons for spring browns. For Kings mostly Stingray & Mag size.

However either species will hit any of those sizes. Figuring out the "color of the day" more important than the size typically.

When cleaning fish many times we see both small and large baits in their stomachs.

 

Thanks! I’m building a dual purpose spread for cloudy and clear water for Browns. Ones that work well in both. You guys are very forthcoming with what works 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Del Gue said:

Thanks! I’m building a dual purpose spread for cloudy and clear water for Browns. Ones that work well in both. You guys are very forthcoming with what works 🙏

Drebs right on with stickballs for early spring browns. We typically run sticks on the boards and spoons on the riggers. We also will run spoons on #2 chinook divers just off the corners of the boat.

If spoons are producing well we will switch out some of the sticks and run spoons off the board as well. Once the brown leave the shallows it mostly becomes a spoon bite.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rookie fisherman said:

Drebs right on with stickballs for early spring browns. We typically run sticks on the boards and spoons on the riggers. We also will run spoons on #2 chinook divers just off the corners of the boat.

If spoons are producing well we will switch out some of the sticks and run spoons off the board as well. Once the brown leave the shallows it mostly becomes a spoon bite.  

 Thanks, I have a full spread of stick baits as we fish with those in the early spring as well on Lake Champlain.  Thanks again for the tips.  I’m very excited about traveling to Ontario this year and trying to figure this out. I was going to use Airbnb to find places to stay but do you have any other recommendations? 

Edited by Del Gue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Del Gue said:

 Thanks, I have a full spread of stick baits as we fish with those in the early spring as well on Lake Champlain.  Thanks again for the tips.  I’m very excited about traveling to Ontario this year and trying to figure this out. I was going to use Airbnb to find places to stay but do you have any other recommendations? 

What area of the lake are you looking to fish? 20 plus years ago I use to fish Champlain on a semi-regular basis out of Willsboro. 

From what I understand the Atlantic population is doing better? Those are fun to catch on light tackle. We get them occasionally on Ontario.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rookie fisherman said:

What area of the lake are you looking to fish? 20 plus years ago I use to fish Champlain on a semi-regular basis out of Willsboro. 

From what I understand the Atlantic population is doing better? Those are fun to catch on light tackle. We get them occasionally on Ontario.

 

 I’m planning on fishing out of the Oswego area. Yes, I fish a lot for salmon and lake trout on Lake Champlain. I started about nine years ago. In the spring I start off down by the crown point bridge and as the water warms up, I slowly work my way north. I live near the islands so the summertime I will fish for them  around Valcour island. The salmon population has done very well. The last few years have been tough and I hope it’s not a trend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Del Gue said:

 I’m planning on fishing out of the Oswego area. Yes, I fish a lot for salmon and lake trout on Lake Champlain. I started about nine years ago. In the spring I start off down by the crown point bridge and as the water warms up, I slowly work my way north. I live near the islands so the summertime I will fish for them  around Valcour island. The salmon population has done very well. The last few years have been tough and I hope it’s not a trend. 

I sent you a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yellow NBK stingray size always catches spring kings for me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×