1st Perch of the year

Last week I had a 5-6 lb laker spit up (5) 3 inch perch on Keuka while after perch on the ice and all of them were still alive.He hit on a 1/16 oz. jig with a waxworm through the ice in 18 ft of water. They certainly are really "opportunists" for whatever they can get down their throats

This trout had to come in shallow water to get perch, 50 to 70ft. lake trout like warmer water on the bottom of lake this time of year. 38 degrees 150 to 300 ft. they feed on sculpin. I wounder if we still have any sculpins left in this lake. lake trout like to eat and will move around to get it.

Lake trout are far more opportunistic than we often realize. A buddy of mine was out with other guys fishing bass on cayuga in Union springs. Bite died off and they all quit and we're just having a beer. They drifted along and 1 guy had a top water frog on and left it hanging over the gunwale in the water. A big laker came up God knows how far and nailed it.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Several years ago I was ice fishing Canandaigua in 4' of water with my hut flipped over me when a bunch of 6" perch started moving below me, they where very interested in my bait when suddenly a huge laker (10# range) came from nowhere after those perch, caused a 2" wake in my hole. Not sure who was more startled, the perch or me. Many years ago I caught a laker in 140' of water still fishing. When I cleaned it there was a mouse in its stomach that was reasonably fresh looking.

11 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

This trout had to come in shallow water to get perch, 50 to 70ft. lake trout like warmer water on the bottom of lake this time of year. 38 degrees 150 to 300 ft. they feed on sculpin. I wounder if we still have any sculpins left in this lake. lake trout like to eat and will move around to get it.

60' fow pulling copper as for stoncats we still have some but not like it was