NEW Autopilot info.requested

Fishstix

I am looking to buy a new autopilot . My boats a 21ft mechaniclly steered outboard.

Ive had it with my sportpilot plus. It must steer my 8 hp kicker also.I have not ruled

out switching it over to hydralic steering but the mechanical steering works just fine.

I want it to work fast enough to control the boat going into 4ftrs.{probably impossible}

My kicker is controlled by a homemade link to the main motor.

Whats the latest and greatest?

I think they all talk to any mfg. gps dont they?

If you are going to have it just for your kicker motor, the TR-1 autopilot might be what you are looking for. I have the TR-1 on my 2150 Seaswirl and like it a lot. It can do almost anything from zig zags to figure 8s. It's can also be hooked up to a GPS. The only thing I don't like about it is when I'm in waves larger than 2 feet, it has a hard time staying course. I might have that problem with any autopilot on a 21ft boat though.

Brian(Goin Deep)

Tim the only difference between the 12 & 14 is the remote. It does need the clearance behind the dash tho. As well as a rotary type cable as opposed to a rack&pinion style. If it's rack style it's only a matter of changing out cable.

No, actually the 14 has an lcd display that shows compass heading, gain setting etc, it also has a number of additional features that the 12 doesn't (dodge, etc). Worth the extra couple bucks IMO.

I had the R & P steering on my Thompson, changing the steering cable to a rotary was a piece of cake.

Tim

That's what I meant by the remote. I just didn't explain it properly. The main unit is the same for either one. The remote on the 14 has the feature's your referring to in the remote. The 14 remote has a built in computer as the 12 is manual input. Bottom line either are great unit's. Just depend's on your wallet.

http://www.simrad-yachting.com/en/Produ ... AP12-AP14/

Thanks for all the replies. I do want it to work on both motors.

Also I forgot to mention that my steering has some type of antifeedback system.

I dont know how it works but you cant feel engine torque in the steering wheel .

You can not manualy turn the motor from the back of the boat you must turn the steering wheel.

I called Simrad today to find out about the steering cable.After being on hold for a long time

I finally got to talk to a service rep but he could not answer my questions. I will try again tomorrow.

I also seen on the AP12 there is a optional steering adaptor. Could this be to adapt it to a rack type steering?

Thanks again for all the replies .Keep em comming.

I would definatly reccomend the ap14 it does Rock! This will be my second season with it and Im glad I made the investment. Just like Tim said you need all of the 10 inches of clearence at the helm and changing it out from rack and pinion to rotary was very easy. Gambler helped me install mine and we got it done in about 3-4 hrs.

The extra features are nice on the 14- also simrad stands behind their stuff 100%.

good luck

Heres where we are at.

I do have to change my steering cable.I probably made it more difficult than I had to

trying to figure out the proper steering cable.I ordered it from Jamestown Distributors

1 800 497 0010 . They seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and were

able to cross reference the part number from the Simrad chart.

Im waiting till next week to order the AP14.I will probably order it from Consumers

marine .Its where Ive always ordered my marine electronics . They are supposed to be

having a big sale starting next week.

If anyone finds a smokin deal on one let me know.

cheapest Ive found is $1467 at hodges marine...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Stan

You would be very pleased with the Simrad unit. That is what is on my boat.

The upcharge for the 14 display is info already available on you gps. If you have any questions give me a call. The navico unit that came with my boat lasted 10 years and was replaced with an ap12 in 2006. no complaints.

Dave