How to run 2 dipsys/side?

chowder

If I want to run 2 dipsy rods on the same side, what practical things come into play? Obviously the one to the far outside has to be set way out, right? Would it need to go in the water 1st too? We usually run our mag wire dds @ 2.0, and I would be interested in running a smaller dd to the outside of the wire dd, or more likely, a shallow running(30-40') slide diver.It seems like this second diver line would be ok if the diver was set to max tilt and went in 1st. My only experience with this was on some one else's boat where we got a pretty good snarl between a wire dipsy and a super braid slide diver. I am interested in using this on the FLX , not Ontario!

When we run a four dipsey spread (you can do six also, If your crew/driver are expierenced), we use two different length rods. I use a 10'6 for the outside and 9'6 for the inside. First, the shallowest and widest rigs are sent out far to the sides of the boat. We put this diver on a #3 setting. Those rods are set in the farthest forward rod holders along each side of the boat. The next two Dipsy lines are set to dive down and slightly out to the sides on a #1 or 1 1/2 setting and placed in the next rod-holder positions toward the transom. Let them out very slowly and your set :yes: .

As you troll along, it’s easy to change running depth without having to reel in. Basically, just lengthen or shorten your lines to increase or decrease running depths. When a fish hits and the dipsy trips, you'll be able to fight the fish behind the boat, and you net it over the transom. When your ready to set back up, you can simply reset the dipsy, drop It back into the water, and send it back out again to the same number on your line counter that you had the previos strike......slowly!! The dipsy should return to It's prior positions in your trolling spread without any other line/rod shuffling. Dipsys sort of swoop back into their proper places as you feed the line out under tension.

The mistake I made most often as I was learning this method was I let the second dipsy out to fast. Don't be In any hurry when setting any of these rods. You can set the drag and let It creep out....then just go to the other side and start sending those out.

Hope this helps ;)

Rod, I am guessing you don't try to gain on a fish that whacks the outside dipsy at first , but just keep tension on and let the fish take out line till you figure the boat has cleared it of the deep dipsy and rigger leads and then bring it up the chute?

Chowder,

Theoretically you can start fighting that fish right away. The outside rod on the #3 setting Is higher and wider and should not interfere with the inside rod. It's important to understand your spread though, and you should have a good mental picture of where everything you have deployed is at below the water's surface. Understanding where everything Is, why It's there, and what It will do not only when a fish hits, but In other occurances such as a turn, Is the key to having tangle free days and going back Into port with the same number of dipsys you left with :)

There Is usually going to be a lerning curve, so I'd start with one side and don't get to upset If you get tangled the first time or two. It happens!

Placement of the rods: The "Low Diver" should be closest to the back of the boat and the most parallel to the water. The “High Diver†should be a little bit behind the “Low Diver†and the tip of the rod should be elevated slightly above the “Low Diver.â€

First off it helps if you have two different length rods. On our boat we use Daiwa Heartland Rods. The "Low Diver" or "Deeper Diver" is the shorter of the two rods measuring 9'6". The "High Diver" or "Shallowest Diver" is a 10'6" rod. Both of which are spooled up with 1000' of 30lb 7 strand trolling wire.

Once you get used to this set-up it is a very simple presentation to deploy. This is to place both the High and Low diver in the water at the same time. Loosen the drag on the Low diver and let it go at a fast creep. With the High diver I let it out on the clicker. Watch your counters and when they get to the amount of feet out stop them and set the drags.

For the first timer? Here is how I would deploy them. Let your high diver out and set it where you want it to be. Next, take you Low diver and place it in the holder. Let it out on a slow drag.

One more tidbit of information - make sure your Dipsy's have a decent set screw in the middle which holds the weight in place. The screws on some of the newer Dipsy's seem to "bottom out" and then the weight creeps and the diver no longer planes to the side properly. Either use a larger aftermarket screw or we use a small rubber washer beneath the screw (also try the newer Walker divers which seem to avoid this altogether with their clicker mechanism).

Trust me - take the time to make sure you have a decent screw or you'll have one heckuva tangle. Either way, we love running a dual diver setup as it really helps with a nice presentation in the water, especially when the fish seem to be scattering behind the boat.

Good luck!

- Chris

I have only had one Dipsey Diver that would not stay put, so i dont think that problem is all that common. Maybe a bad batch was sent out, but I wouldnt throw ourt ur dipseys to go buy another brand. i woud run them side by side though and once your comfy with a Walker Deep Diver then slowly switch over.

Clarke,

I'd like to hear Rick's reasoning also, as It may be different than mine. I actually don't get to run 4 divers very often cause we can only run 6 rods In the Am division, but we ran two on a side a several times In practice last year and I want to run It a lot more often this upcoming season. It worked great for us.

I angle the rods like Rick does...high diver slightly higher and deeper diver parallel to the water. This way, when the high diver takes a hit In the forward holder, It will be unobstructed and won't come In contact with the deep diver rod next to It.

I run 4 dipsys all the time and stagger them like Rick does also. I've never run them both at the same height off the water as Clarke is asking and I don't think it would impair the divers in any way when they're in the water, but I can definitely see it being a pain in the butt to deal with when you're trying to get the rod out of the holder, especially if there's a King on that high diver taking a lot of line. Having one high and one low is also a good visual indicator as to which diver is deep and which is shallow.

Here's a pic of my two diver set up as they sit in the holder. We've also started angling that rear-most holder towards the rigger and started putting our corner rigger rods in that holder since we can get it closer to the water that way. Although with the new Cannon rigger mounted rod holders we'll be running next year we won't have to do that!

DSC062892.jpg

outriggers help alot too guys. setting the outside dipsey in the outriggers gives you all kinds of room. a little extra separation in the water and you dont have to worry about the rod tips interfering with each other.

My outside rods are 9'6"(set up as superbraid slide diver rigs), the inside rods are 8'6" wire dipsy rigs. Is this enough difference in rod length?I also have a 10' wire rig that is presently set up with a long leader and slide diver, but I can easily run this as a 3rd regular wire dipsy if I wanted to + my thumper is the same 10' rod & reel and wire so that could go that way as well if wire was what they wanted.

I was thinking that I would be offering a wider variety of presentations with a pair of wire divers and a pair of superbraid divers, but maybe this logic has not panned out in reality, what's the verdict?

I'm no pro, but I've been running 4 divers for good while now. Hi slide divers with low dipseys and all dipseys. As was mentioned earlier, deploy them slowly. On the initial setup I like to set the hi diver first, then the low diver second because in this order I can deploy the rods the fastest. Slide divers are more of a pain to run in a 4 diver spread than reg. divers. The reason I want a change in rod angle is so that on a hit the forward most diver doesn't crash into the other one. I know that rod seperation between the 2 divers will help prevent tangles but I can't see a need for different rod lengths. All my diver rods are 9'6" and they have worked great. I have toyed with the idea of running the high diver off my ouriggers as Rob had said but just haven't gone there yet. Now that would give seperation. Just my 2 cents

If you want to run the outside dipsys on your outriggers, you need an Afco roller release (West Marine has them) on the outrigger string. This will allow you to replace the outside dipsy without ever messing with the inside dipsy. Just send out the outside dipsy about three-four feet and clip the braid or wire in the roller release. Now have someone pull the outrigger string to move the release to the end of the outrigger pole while you thumb the reel so the dipsy follows the release out to the end of the outrigger. Once at the end, zero your line counter and send the dipsy out. You will never tangle your dipsys again.

The beauty of the roller releases is they are infinitely adjustable as to the amout of line you can pay out. If the fish are high.....just reel some line back in on the spool. If the fish are hitting deep......just send out some more. The only tricky part is make sure you put the braid/wire on the roller and not between the wheel and the housing......snapolla if that happens when a fish hits. Keep tension on the the release once closed and as you tranisition the dipsy out to the end of the outrigger....if you throw a slack loop into the works, the line may jump the roller and end up stuck between the housing. Jerry, at Rebel Charters could expound on the system........that is where I learned the trick.

• 2 weeks later...