Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gill-T

Continued evidence of phasing out of DEC

Deer hunting participants have diminished in my lifetime. Opening day car counts have fallen for the seventy mile drive to our camp have fallen from hundreds of parked cars roadside to seven cars last season in my sixty past years of hunting deer. The reason is all the “cityots” purchased the farmlands, built residential property and shooting a firearm nearby is unlawful. Now more deer are killed by the “cityots” traveling to the city for employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

?? Not sure I understand the connection?

Are you saying declining license sales is having the trickle down effect of reduced need for ECO’s?

If this is happening it's a disgrace to the state of NY fish and game. I've had many friends and family involved in the ECO and every officer does a great service to our state environmental and game laws, state or private lands. Sadly I hope its not about $$$, Private sectors pay fines. A 30 million salary is nothing for the service they provide compared to the money the state spends on buying more land for nobody to oversee.

as for the decline in hunting : It's kinda 2 fold. Younger kids 30 years ago lost interest in many ways. 2 working parents became normal, advancement in modern technology peaked kids interests.. Yes Some land was lost due to the ever increasing housing development but there is only so much space on this planet and people outnumber space in areas that were open..

Personally, I think there is a resurgence in hunting and fishing. The youth programs are great.. The state (bite my lip ) is providing more opportunities for these activities .  

Posted (edited)

Opportunity in NY to hunt is incredible. I hunt state land and often find I have 1500 acres to myself.  Land availability is not the problem.  Go to Illinois and see how much opportunity is available. This ruling coming down from Seggos will be loved by poachers. 

Edited by Gill-T

15 minutes ago, Rich s said:

Not sure I agree with this.

Me too!  Most guys think state land is over crowded.  If they walked more than 100yds from their vehicles, they would find an empty woods.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.