Off Topic Question

T_barb

I figured I might be able to get some help here finding somewhere to buy GOOD lumber..

I live in Hamlin and have gone to 3 differnt "big box" stores to purchase some pressure treated lumber.. I go there more out of convenience than anything, but the quality of their lumber was consistently bad in all 3 stores..

It simply looks like they stopped ordering new material and what is left is the stuff that nobody wants.. I complained in all 3 stores and nobody seems to care.. The sotres were empty, so the economy must be taking its toll...

With the price of lumber these days, I don't want to settle for junk, so would like some suggestions as to where I can get some good lumber in the brockport/hamlin area..

I believe there is a lumber yard in holley, but I don't have any experience...

I apologize for the off topic question, but I know that there are a lot of people from this area on the site and figured I could get some help..

Well you cane to the right site for such a question, treated as with all lumber is is graded ,#1and#2 are the most common ratings.#1 is obv. the best with fewer knots,scalped edges ,and open grain usually from smaller dia wood or the center of the log area.All three of these can cause excessive warping,weak spots and diffulacty working with and slivers or seperation in a few years.Usually the box stores carry #2 so ask around ,also this time of year the demand or turnover of treated is very low and when stored indoors unbanded is very susatable to excessive drying which causes warping and what is available is pretty well picked over as youve already found. throw in a underexperianced personall to remove the really bad stuff or keep piles stacked even and ya got a pile of twisted ,knotty,scalped lumber.find a ma and pa store (not too small) that store treated outdoors and youll find better looking lumber .but if you bring it indoors for small projects it can warp after a while of drying.clearer grain and #1 treating process is the way to go. but hey iz just a plummer.

I had the same problem a few years ago when I built my deck. I end up going to 84 lumber pay a little more but the lumber was / is worth it. They will deliver it free even out here to Hamlin. Any pieces you think are bad as you use it they will take it back for a good piece. Hope this helps.