Conesus 2/7/09 and Hemlock 2/9/09

GAMBLER

Fished Conesus Saturday and had a good day. Started off with a fat 34" northern on a ultra light jigging rod with 4 lb. test on a micro ice jig. A half hour later, iced a 37" northern on a tip up rigged with a shiner. Last northern of the day was 28" on a tip up. Iced 3 nice largemouth 13", 17", 19". Also ice a ton of dink blue gills. The ice was 11 - 14" and wet on top.

Fished Hemlock this morning and it down right sucked. Iced a 5 - 6lb. brown on a tip up rigged with a minnow on the bottom in 84 FOW. Caught one dink smelt on a laker jig on the bottom in 85 FOW. That was it. The ice was 8-9" with no snow left on top. Ask Jax how slippery it was!

don't feel bad I've been sticking with I-bay and the perch seem to be getting smaller every day 3"-5" inch if you can even get them to hit most aren't catching anything, A few nice ones have been caught by the bridge pillars but just a few, And my buddies that fish sodus say the same thing, I just hope it gets better soon .

I did look at that fish and it is a nice laker BUT, no way 20 lbs. Here is a the pics from iceshanty.com and you can clearly see the fish is held way away from his body. Look how big his hand is compared to the jaw of the laker. I will give it 10 -12 lbs. On the bottom of this, I'm posting a 11lb. 11oz. laker from Canadice. 32 1/2" long to compare it to. I have seen many 20lbers out of Lake Ontario over the years and that laker would have to eat a lot of lead to be 20lbs. I'm also adding a pic of Trout-N-About's LOC winning Laker 20lbs. 11oz.

0207091025.jpg

0207091025a.jpg

Canadice 11lb. 11 oz. lake trout

100_0507.jpg

20lb. 11oz. Lake Ontario slob

JAYSLAKER.jpg

I agree totally Gambler. It is a nice fish but it is being held way too close to the camera. That pose makes for a great picture to show to family and friends, but way too many fish from Muskies to Salmon have been scrutinized in online photos for people to try and get away with that. I saw some of those big pike on the underwter cam last week- pretty cool. Way to go. I can't wait to get down there in the summer and try for a tiger. I fished on the ice more this week and a half than I have all my life.- a lot of fun. Can't wait for open water though. Way to go- Mick

Mick,

We saw a bunch of nice northerns on the camera including the one I caught on the jigging rod. That was cool to watch. I really like watching the reaction of the gills when a toothy critter comes cruising by. Good luck on the tiger search. My buddy has caught some really nice ones in September and October pike fishing.

I definately want a camera for next year's ice. I have a few Ideas for attatching it for trolling also. Most of them only go 50 feet- I would like something over 100 ft of cable to see what is on the bottom in front of the Oak. - If it gets colder again, and safe on the ice let me know and I'll head out there with you. -Mick