Perch Fishers

JR

I was just wondering if anyone feels the same way I do and wish they would put a size limit on perch, It would be nice to see at least a 9" size limit on them, I see way too many people keeping them from 5" on up and it would be nice to see the smaller one's get a chance to spawn and grow witch would make the perch fishing that much better .

Just my opinion

I am going to have to side with gambler on this one.. i dont think we have a shortage of fish by any means on LO.. more fish = more dinks.. in my opinion the perch population is on the rise.. at least at the east end. At our end we have a good commercial market, which i think results in a more consistent good sized perch due to all the guys selling 2-3 buckets ever weekend (no 50 perch limit either).

Perch are too prolific to need a size limit or a maximum number of keepers. They need to be harvested otherwise your waters biomass will become infested with undersized and stunted perch and panfish. The recruitment of walleye, bass, etc. ends when the unharvested perch numbers remove by consuming all the fry and fingerlings that the other fish produce. The growth rates of the perch mass increase when you cull down the too many perch in a lake. Let the professional biologists suggest regulations, not pressure from a disgruntled fisherman wannabe and his followers.

"Let the professional biologists suggest regulations, not pressure from a disgruntled fisherman wannabe and his followers"

jimski2, I completely agree with your position on the perch. BUT there is no need to bash guys on here and call them disgrutled wannabe fisherman. I believe JR created this thread to see what people thought not to be bashed. Thats not what this site is for.

Yes, you are right, it came out bad. After a couple trips to Lake Simcoe and what it used to be and is now, I sort of lost it. I think if trained professional biologists with years of experience on the waters under their care wanted a change in the catch limits. it would be perfectly acceptable. Another thing that bothers me is the regulations are so rigid that it takes years and hearings to make changes. The regulations should be changed when and as needed to correct conditions. Just because they only change the regulation book every couple years so then they can change things then is not very responsive to conditions that could change over night.