Staying true to my "fishtails" screen name

I began the arduous task of changing out all the hooks on my spoons, so I decided to play around with adding skirts (aka

"Fishtails" to some of them. I think I like It...these are the first ones I did, but I think I'll be doing more.

Now....will the fish like them ??

spoons008.jpg

spoons001.jpg

spoons004.jpg

Rod,

Nice looking work - I also like some of your tape patterns on the 2 "42 second" style spoons you made. I just swapped out my hooks on all of my Dreamweaver stuff - even new spoons that I just purchased. I put all Owner hooks on my spoons (#2 for the SS spoons, and 1/0 for the regular spoons). There's an unbelievable difference in how sharp the Owner hooks are compared to the "stock" VMC stuff they come with. Owner's aren't cheap but they seem worth it (I called Dreamweaver directly by the way to confirm the treble size on their spoons).

Thanks for the post Rod!

- Chris

Disclaimer - I have no ties to Owner hooks

Real men don't put skirts on their spoons, (just kidding)

:rofl::lol: Good one...Fishtails It Is then!

Now that I've made more, I got the hang of the production "skirt" tool I bought to make these and they are coming out really nice. Directions on how to use It would have been helpful. I'm not sure how full I should make them? I'm trying not to overdue It and make them to full. I definitley bought to much product....I could make 1000 of these things with all I have :o

Billy,

Siggs makes a really nice product. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted though, thus the reason I choose to make my own. I wanted to stay with natural tones and leave the color to the spoon. I'll do some brighter colors later after testing these. I went with silicone skirting instead of flashabou because Imo, the silicone won't go limp when It gets wet and should have better action behind a spoon. The silicone will also absorb and hold a scent better. I also wanted the option to use my own hooks. The fact that It covers the split ring Is a plus too. The sleeves I'm using have rattle ears and will accept small glass rattles like the ones we use on our Tournament fly rigs. I'm not sure If I'll use rattles yet? The option Is there and I'm just gonna wait to see how they field test and see If the rattle will be a hindrance, or effect the action of the spoon. Here Is one with a rattle.

spoons006.jpg

Thanks for sharing your expierence Jeff. That was my thinking on keeping the strands to a minimum and not making them very full. Did you tune the spoons at all? I'd think a slight tune would correct that but I think the tail on the NBK might be to full? I expect the rattles would slow the action too so I don't plan on using them, but I'm gonna try one just to find out? These will be my guinnea pig spoons and we'll see how they stack up against stock spoons. Won't be long......

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...