Otisco Muskie

Nice fish! I'm generally a fan of catch and release but see no issue with keeping a couple of fish to eat every once in a while. Tiger Musky's and Walleye are basically stocked fish anyway so it's hard to imagine what the big deal is.  

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:06 AM, craigk said:

Wow everyone took it easy on her..... Next time think about letting it go so someone else can catch their first tiger and be as excited as you were, and catch a few more pan fish to eat 

It would appear from your avatar picture that you are a bunny hugger.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on your catch. I remember my first tiger. I always will. I'd bet nearly every person that has had the experience of catching (or even spotting) a tiger will say the same. They're both ferocious and gorgeous at the same time. We are fortunate to have them swimming in what NYS has deemed their "premier tiger fishery", Otisco Lake.
In my opinion the heart of the issue rests on the state. They've labelled Otisco as the place to catch the biggest tigers that New York can grow, yet they've set the keep size at only 36". I think most anglers would agree that's as far from "trophy" sized as it is from mature. To me there is a sharp distinction. It's either a trophy fishery or it's a put take fishery. We can't have our trophies and eat them too. 

• Like 2

I totally agree, At least 40 would be nice. People don't like to hear the preaching but it is more about the mentality of the fisherman than the law. I have a strong feeling more fish under 36 inches are kept on Otisco than over.

The more time you spend fishing for the Tigers the more you understand what goes into them and how much you have to work for a true trophy sized fish. Catching the high numbers of 30 inchers is fun, but knowing the potential it would be nice to see a lot more of those fish continue to grow!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I caught one tiger in 63 years of life. I was proud of how I reeled him in and that I still have the strength to do it with the physical shape and injuries that I have. My grandfather always told me if you don’t have something good to say keep your mouth shut. So with that I will shut my mouth and I understand that all of you good old boys want to see all the fish get over 40 inches it all comes down to it was my boat. My pole and reel. My gosh. My decision. Will I keep another. Most likely not. This fish was just about dead after I got him untangled from the net. End rant

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2