Bayliner Discovery 246

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Bayliner Discovery 246?

My wife and I are looking for a new boat. It's just me and her 99% of the time, and we drive up from Philly and sleep on the boat, so it needs to have a bed big enough to lay fully in. We were looking for something with more fishing room than our current 19' trophy, but also with more cabin space. We want to stay under 26' and 8'6" beam so we can trailer occasionally. We really had a hard time finding anything that had fishing space AND living space. It seems to be one or other other. The 246 has the same amount of fishing space as our 19', but a lot more living space. I'm looking at a leftover 2007 for about $40k. So anything in or less than that price range is an option. Don't mind used, as long as 2004 or newer (i'm not a mechanic by any means).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Nick

Nick,

What is this " My wife and I", was there a wedding and we did not hear about it???? If so CONGRATS bro, hope everything is going good for you and the Mrs., are you heaidng out west again this year? Let me know. I do not know anything about that specific Bayliner, but keep your eyes open, it is a buyers market. Talk to you soon.

Rich

Yup....they took the plunge Rich! Last October, I believe? I don't think I've heard from Nick since then?? Hey Rich...my cell amd email have changed, I'll pm It to you. Hope to see both you and Nick out west this spring. I'll be at Wilson May 1-10, and leaving the boat there till the Pro Am. Looking like I'll be by myself a few days mid week, so I may need to find some fishing partners for a couple days. Let me know If you'll be out there 8)

I'm stoked for you Nick....good luck and have fun on that new boat search!

Hey Guys...

Yeah Rich we got married last October, I figured 6 years we long enough to get to know her haha.

I'll be out at Wilson a bit later this year, May 22-30... hopefully with a new boat ;) I've never bought a NEW boat before, so I'm a bit nervous. I'm REALLY hoping it's not like car shopping... we've been going around trying to buy a new car for the MRS. and with the auto market being crap, and the bailouts... you'd think the car dealers would treat you better or at least be honest with you... it took all the control I had last week to not start swinging at a dealer after we drove 1.5 hrs to pick a car up that we worked a deal out with over the phone, only to be told after we sat there for an hour that they "made a mistake" and can't give us the car for that price, but $100 more a month :@

Back to boats... I've seen the Discovery 246 in magazines before and always though, eh it's a cruiser, not enough fishing room, etc etc... but then we saw one at a boat show this past weekend and it's actually really nice. Fishing space is really only enough for 2-4 people, but I'm thinking that is probably all we really need.

Hey Rich, you got a kicker with hydraulic tilt and electric start right? Mind me asking how much it was with labor or did you install yourself?

Nick

Nick,

Congrats on the nuptials, lol. Yea you would figure the dealers would want to get the autos rolling off the lots, but I am finding the same here also. As far as the kicker is concerned, yes it is electric start and hydra. tilt. I will call you with the total, it is the best addition to the boat we have made. Good Luck with the boat purchase. We will be out in Wilson again this year from May 16th-21st, we are docking at Kevin's marina again also. I will be intouch, congrats again.

Rich

Hey Nick congrats on getting married. Better you than me! LOL Anyway...if you want to save some coin that new 246 is a prettier version of the Bayliner Ciera 2452. That rig was around for a while, and there are a TON of them online for sale. See ya in Wilson!

I agree with Yankee on the Bayliner 2452, I looked at a few of those before I bought my Penn Yan. They seem to be a really good blend of cruiser and fishing boat. One thing, if you go with that model, make sure it has the 350 in it, the 305 powered boats are considered somewhat underpowered.

Hey guys, yeah i've fished on the cieras before... someone in my marina actually has one. They're only 24' though, the 246 adds a 1.5' to the back, so there's actually a bit more fishing room on the new ones.

Diversion... yeah the one we're looking at now has the 300hp in it. While it would be nice, the trophy we have now only has 120hp on it and can't get on plane with more than 3 people, so I'm used to be underpowered haha ;) The only time it really really sucks is when you get caught in a storm!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, thought I'd give you an update that we just got back from Michigan and something new followed us home...

DSCN9094.jpg

We're pretty excited, now hopefully it will catch fish! We found out at our sea trial that it will at least get us across the lake a bit faster... we hit almost 50mph without pushing it too hard... it was actually a bit scary as we were on a very small lake and I'm just not used to going that fast in a boat... could only hit about 25mph on the trophy.

The riggers and rod holders should be here next week and then I get to cut and drill into the brand new boat... not sure I'm too excited about that :)

Nick

Nick,

Looks great, betting you will be getting some better sleep now at the dock. Now get those holes drilled and riggers mounted and get it wet. Keep us posted with pics, love to see boats as they progress. Good Luck.

Rich

We ended up buying two scotties with the 30" booms for the corners. I'm thinking I'll put one of my manual cannons down the middle to run my probe off of. I ended up with Bert's tracks and Berts ratcheting rod holders for the sides. Now I'm trying to figure out how the heck to mount the kicker off the swim platform... remote troll makes a nice outfit for it that comes with a motor on the bracket that lets you use a remote to steer the "bracket"... but it's a bit spendy.

http://www.remotetroll.com/products/rt-85.php

Nick

echoone,

The transducer is actually mounted in the hull in the center of the boat, so no worries on which side to mount the kicker. I'll probably mount the kicker on the port side though to offset my weight :)

Nick

Nick,

Tell your WIFE congrats on getting a boat and You. Good luck with both.

I know that the saying with boats is that the 2 days owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

I personally do not know if there is a correlating saying for marriage......perhaps we should ask our wives.

Good choice on the scotty's.

Have Fun,

CC

echo, ok yeah Brandon called this weekend and he's putting in soon also. I won't be up until the end of May, but looks like I'll be docked on the creek by the cleaning station.

cb, I can't complain, my wife actually somewhat likes to fish and is paying for half the boat ;)

Nick