Jump to content

2021-2022 Western zone waterfowl season


Recommended Posts

We had our task force meeting yesterday. Here are the seasons.

Duck - Oct 16 to Nov 7

            Nov 27 to Jan 2

Youth - Oct 2 and 3

Veteran/active military - Nov 11 and Nov 13

2 Scaup season - Dec 14 to Jan 2, all other season days the limit is 1

Brant - Oct 2 to Nov 20

Goose - West   Oct 23 to Nov 7

                         Dec 20 to Jan 2   30 days, 1 bird limit

Goose - South  Oct 23 to Jan 8    78 days, 5 bird limit

If it is necessary, and it looks like it is, that there is a restrictive AP goose season for the 2022-2023 season, there will be a survey sent out asking hunters if they prefer a 30 day, 1 bird limit or a 15 day, 2 bird limit season.

It is still unclear if aircraft monitoring and banding will take place again this year on the AP goose breeding grounds.

The AP goose harvest states are proposing a satellite telemetry project of greater than 400 birds to determine migration routes and chronology of AP Canada geese.  This will help estimate the exposure days of hunting within the resident population zones, determine the timing of migration relative to current framework dates and explore the potential for additional Canada goose hunting opportunities that does not cause additional exposure to AP Canada geese. 

600 +/- Hen Mallards from Eastern Canada are to be fitted with satellite telemetry to monitor reproduction, survival rates and better understand movement and migration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about having a waterfowl season when birds are around? Or how about maybe having a youth season that kids can pull the trigger more then once on a common mallard..  I’d rather have a shorter season when you can actually shoot a bird then a long season with no birds around..

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roys Boys said:

How about having a waterfowl season when birds are around? Or how about maybe having a youth season that kids can pull the trigger more then once on a common mallard..  I’d rather have a shorter season when you can actually shoot a bird then a long season with no birds around..

Thanks for your opinion. It's been my experience when taking kids out for the youth weekend that they are excited to be out hunting. There are still loads of teal, wood ducks and other species to target, not to mention the opportunity to shoot a goose. Let me know when your ideal weekend for the youth hunt is and I will make that suggestion at next years meeting. Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a joke. Why do they even still have a taskforce??? Suggestions won't be considered. Theres too many groups to please in the western zone making someone always left out. The current management plan remains until western zone hunters get shafted again by the next 5 year management plan. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 split duck season the way to go.. end of September end of December  second or third week of January.. maybe 2 or three geese for youth season? For the kids lugging 2 dozen goose decoys 150 yards in a field to make be more memorable.. has anyone told the task force these are great dates? 100% of guys I talked to in flx ducks unlimited dinners and hunters at boat ramps said they’re horrible

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, troutman10 said:

What a joke. Why do they even still have a taskforce??? Suggestions won't be considered. Theres too many groups to please in the western zone making someone always left out. The current management plan remains until western zone hunters get shafted again by the next 5 year management plan. 

You're right, the Western zone is too big and it is impossible to make everyone happy considering the Finger Lakes hunters, and east of here, are lumped in with people hunting on Lake Erie. I have tried to split the zone with no luck.

 

12 hours ago, Roys Boys said:

3 split duck season the way to go.. end of September end of December  second or third week of January.. maybe 2 or three geese for youth season? For the kids lugging 2 dozen goose decoys 150 yards in a field to make be more memorable.. has anyone told the task force these are great dates? 100% of guys I talked to in flx ducks unlimited dinners and hunters at boat ramps said they’re horrible

 

Federal regulations do not allow us to split it 3 times, that has nothing to do with the task force. The limit on geese is 1 for everyone, including youth hunters, there is no changing that until the limit goes up.  We get told every year what people think are great days for them, but what is good for us in the FLX is not good for everyone because of the size of the zone. What is your ideal weekend for the youth hunt?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...