Port Bay channel notice

L&M

Channel is open but read the notice if your going to be using it..

NOTICE: Please take note that the channel opening as of April 1st this

year will be a partial opening, west side (pier side) to center. The time and

effort to maintain the east side before mid-May is wasted given the storm

history in the early Spring. If you are one of those hearty fisherman willing

to brave the cold of the lake in early Spring, please exercise caution when

you leave and enter the bay, stay clear of the east side since the lake-side

buoy will not be in place until the east side of the channel is dredged.

Hey Hank - My dad and I were going to venture out on Friday, but the 1-2' chop had waves breaking all across the lake side of the channel making it look like it was very shallow, so we were weary to take the boat through. We then headed up to the pier to take a look-see and saw at least two spots through the murky waters where we could see rocks on the west side (pier side) that extended a good 6' out from the pier - one near the end and the other at the slight bend. The way the waves were breaking also made it appear as though the whole opening to the lake was very shallow, although the water was too murky to see how deep it was. Has anyone been through there the verify how deep it is and how wide of a channel are we talking? I'm affraid to get out there and have the wind kick up, which would make coming back in very difficult and dangerous if the channel is very narrow!! :( My dad says that someone is contracted by the Port Bay Association to keep the channel open from April 1st until sometime in the fall. Has that changed for some reason this year? I would like to get out and get the deck slimed up with some browns, but I'm not willing to take out a prop to do it! Do you have any thoughts or info on this?

Tim: It is ok as long as you stay to the west side. Yes there is going to be some gravel near the wall as there alwas is all summer where you can't pull it up that tight with the dredge. With all the high winds the last few day's it's not surprising that it might appear to be filled in some. It's been to rough on the lake for anyone to think about going out anyway & when it's not blowing 3 ta 5's or 8 ta 10's it will be addressed if there is a problem.

On a side note: Yes it is contracted out and being maintained as per the above post & the helpful warning that was issued by the association. Do you belong to the association & get the news letters?