State of the LOU (April 09) - LOU Maps

Couple upgrades to the site to share with everyone. To view the State of the LOU email simply visit the link below and/or visit the upgraded LOU Maps section.

:star:State of the LOU - Updated LOU Maps

:star:Visit the NEW LOU Maps

A special thanks goes out to Katherine who helped me research and then input every single one of those ports manually :yes:

Enjoy!

Nice work once again Chad and THANK YOU Katie for your help :yes:

Chad I did try the weather link for Sandy Creek/ Hamlin and it didn't come up with one ;( It said there was no city found :@:o . Not sure if there is anything on your part you can do to get that straightened out? I did try a bunch of others and they all worked :yes:

Good catch Tom! Had one extra space in there that wasn't suppose to be there. Should work good now. If anyone else finds any similar issues please let me know. These were all done manually so your help is always appreciated.

.... and thank you all for the kind words, glad you enjoy it :yes:

Chad, what format are the Lat/Log coordinates in? It doesn't seem to be the typical deg.min.sec format (xx.xx.xxx), it is xx.xxxxxx?

Just curious because in looking at the numbers for Olcott, they seem way off.

THanks,

Tim

That is actually a good question Tim. The reasoning behind the xx.xxxxxx format was to get the points to display correctly within the Google Maps program. There is a way to convert it and Katherine would know more about that then myself.

Let me ask you then, is the current format (xx.xxxxxx) usable/preferred or would xx.xx.xxx be more helpful (or both)? I do not have enough experience with how the GPS coordinates are actually used to know and thus we just used the same format that Google Maps liked for the GPS coordinates.

Thanks Tim!

Chad

Chad, I think the xx.xx.xxx format would be more useful. since on the water everyone use the minutes series of numbers when talking about location. i.e. "we were fishing the 30 line" which is 30 'minutes' on the lat set (for example) 43.30.128

Since, in this part of the world, one minute of lat is 1 mile+/- that lets people know how far offshore someone was fishing. For example, Olcott Harbor is at the 20 line, more or less, so if someone said they were fishing the 30 line, you'd know they were approx 10 miles offshore.

longitude isn't quite as simple, since I believe a minute of lon is somewhere around 3/4 mile, but it still gives someone a good point of reference.

Thanks, hope that made sense.

Tim