Cayuga

Headed to Cayuga for the first time next week. Staying near sheldrake and will probably be launching outta deans. Have all the necessary gear for trolling, with riggers, copper and fish hawk. If anyone feels like sharing any general info on how to approach fishing the lake for the first time I would appreciate it. I’m sure it’s nothing out of the ordinary but any info helps!

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Couple weeks ago found rainbows down 35 to 50 and lake trout down 50 or more.  Fished in water 80 out to 250 picking fish all along.  Thermocline probably setting up more now so if nothing happening go out in the middle of the lake, over 300 fow and cover 40 to 100 feet down.  200 and 300 copper should catch something, riggers 45 to 60 down or run 80 to 100 down with green or purple spoons then attach sliding cheaters with red, orange, yellow colors.  Dreamweaver super slims or equivalent size is good, Ive never used mags on Cayuga.  Flasher fly in white or green on copper 300 or more or off a dypsey set to run in 60 to 100 fow will always put some lake trout in the net.  Be ready to check susceptible lines often as fleas are really bad now.  Keep us posted on how you make out.

• Like 2

I've been staying a mile below Deans since Sunday and have fished every day. Fleas are practically non existent with the cold weather and rain. Weeds and debris however have been an issue after storms. Cowbells and spin n glows in watermelon 60-100 down from 60-300 fow have taken Lakers steadily. Green seems to be a good color for about everything right now. Orange and yellow are producing as well for spoons on riggers and dipsys. Caught a nice rainbow this morning behind cowbells which surprised me. 45067.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4

I typically do bounce bottom with cowbells but was aggravated with a slow bite and was playing around a bit. I could see a ton of fish from 50-70 everywhere so I pulled everything in that range. Ran from 250 fow to 80 fow. Caught the rainbow down 60 over 85 fow. I know what I did usually does not pan out but it was a slow morning so I figured why not.

• Like 1

I typically do bounce bottom with cowbells but was aggravated with a slow bite and was playing around a bit. I could see a ton of fish from 50-70 everywhere so I pulled everything in that range. Ran from 250 fow to 80 fow. Caught the rainbow down 60 over 85 fow. I know what I did usually does not pan out but it was a slow morning so I figured why not.

Some times you just gotta do strange things when the bite is slow. I've been putting walleye in the boat on Oneida running all kinds of "junk" because the go to baits aren't producing. Good work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1