How deep can the large Dipsy go off steel line? Has anyone ever tried to ad a 1 pound weight to go down deeper ? or is it even possible ?

Headed to Oregon on Thursday and the Lakers ( MacKinaw ) are down at 170'

any advice would be great, thanks in advance

Heavy copper wire 45lb and dipsey is the deepest you will get the dipsey to go by it's self. needs a stout rod and a penn international reel with a two speed retrieve LOW LOW and DEEP REDUCTION, kinda like a Mack 4x5. and two men and a boy to hold it. :lol: Seriously though if you want a dipsey in the program rig it as adown and out off your Rigger wire 20 or 30 feet above the ball and set it to plane outside on a 2.5 or 3 setting. Now you can use a smaller dipsey and the rigger ball and wire will carry it down there on a release set just strong enough to hold the dipsey line.

As far as releases goes for that. there are some choices. Somebody will have the best one as I have not found one for the task yet. Jerry (RUNNIN REB) probably can give a good answer on this, and then we will both know :clap:

Mark

Guys thanks for the input, but I just got my May issue of Great Lakes Angler and my answer is on page 8,Torpedo divers . So I order a few in hopes it will work for us out here.

Now I just hope they get here before the 30th

there will be three of us fishing down deep 16' to 170' on Crescent Lake Oregon. The two Down Riggers will each have one rod, just thought the 3rd could go on dipsy with some help. I could use the steel line rod with a 1lb weight with 3 way swivel . I was just hoping

I could use a dipsy diver some how. Ray your own , there will still be over 100' of water below where we need to get.