Why was That Pike So beat Up?

Hey Y'all,

I fished Sodus Bay last Sunday. The pike were biting, though I was looking for brown trout after being blown off the lake. I was trolling stick baits. We caught three in about an hour off of planer boards.

At any rate, about 4:30 we had a release and managed to boat a very long, but rather skinny, pike. It was all beat up with scars on it's body in several places.

So, my question is why was this fish so beat up? I'm guessing it was over 35" long. I skipped the scale/tape measure to get it back in the water ASAP (a pic was taken, but brother hasn't sent it yet,...).

The marks on it's body were definitely not lamprey marks. I thought they kind of looked like what a pike bite mark might look like.

I'm wondering if it was a spawned out female, or if it was a male that might have been fighting to keep it's territory. It was so skinny that it couldn't have weighed more than 6 - 7lbs.

I don't know much about a pike's breeding habits, so I'm hoping one of you on this section of the LOU might educate me.

I'll post the pic if my brother ever sends it,...

Thanks!

Pierless

(Neil)

I caught this pike while fishin for bass in the canal. Notice all the bloodspots on him. I thought maybe parasites, but someone told me stress from winter causes it. Doesn't sound as beat up, or as big, as your fish, but it's interesting. He fought hard and swam off when I released him so I assume he's not too bad.

100_2190.jpg

So Phil....you made it through your first Rochester winter. Congratulations. Did you get out on the ice at all?? And I can see a glimpse of that kayak setup you've been talking about in that pike photo.

Yes I made it through. Had a great time playin in the snow and ice. Only got out a couple times on the ice... Going to have to do it way more next winter. Here is my first ice fish.

100_2147.jpg

Here is my kayak setup...

100_1963.jpg

Finally went out in it for the first time this year. Can't wait till the opener.

You'll probably see me on I Bay this year.

Phil

Now that's a wicked cool setup. I'll keep an eye out for you but I usually launch at night after everyone has pulled out and I usually pull out early in the morning before anyone has launched. If not, have a teriffic season.

Thanks for responding guys.

Nope, the fish I caught last Sunday looked like someone took a few whacks with a Stanley Surform (remember those?) to it. And, a Stanley Surform looks something like the inside of a pike's mouth with lots of sharp things that look like they can remove flesh from the bone efficiently.

Still waiting for my brother to send a pic,.... I'll post it when he does, but I'm fishing the LOC for 10 days and will be (blissfully) away from the computer until the 11th after tomorrow. If I get blown off the lake, I'll resort to the bay and that has proven beneficial with a nice 9lb 'eye last year on such a day. I'll post pics if that happens to be successful.

"Frayed lines and chomped on lures!"

Pierless

(Neil)

Good to see you Phil. I caught a 52" in Sandy a few years ago and it bled all over me! I think its a natural breeding process, or so I've been told...

Sindale are you saying you got a 52" Pike in Sandy Creek?? Never heard of 1 that big around here.

I was coming in from trolling for browns, and had left a orange rapala flatlined about 50 ft. back. We just made it past the yaht club and BAM! I thought it was a steelie until the tail curled. I just talked to my buddy this weekend who was on the boat with me and he's saying 48". Still, it was up to my chest whith the tail touching my boot, and I'm 6' so yah, monster! Largest pike I've seen around here! I wanted it mounted at first glance, but I let her go.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys,

I'm back from Derby fishing and my brother finally sent the pic of the beat up pike I caught in Sodus Bay .

Here it is, let me know what you think got at this thing and beat it up so bad and if it's a male, or a spawned out female.

Best Regards,

Pierless

(Neil)

aV1zNGWJ.jpg

BP Swing,

Really? VHS, eh? Never thought of that,... shoulda though.

You said you couldn't see it too close. I clicked on the image and thought it was pretty clear/close. Closer than I ever like to look at myself anyway!

So, if it was VHS, or if you do catch a fish with VHS, should you keep it/not put it back? Just wondering. It's probably too late to stop the spread much, but if if keeps an infected fish out of the population that can't be a bad thing, no?

Let me know if you know.

Thanks,

Pierless

(Neil)

Pierless,

OK youre right, I clicked the photo and it was much larger. Im not a biologist but if I had to guess, I would say it was VHS. It has spread accross most of the great lakes. Not sure about releasing it because at this point I dont think it matters. Its already affected the population. I dont think you are supposed to kill fish though.