National Lake Trout Derby

i like the format of the derby as is and this is the derby that got me back into trolling.  my brother and I look forward to it all year.  that said I am looking to try a team event or two in the coming years and wonder if it would be possible to have a team event imbeded with in the derby for those interested.  that may be to complicated to pull off but it could be done for those who want that different competition yet leave the derby as a whole open to everyone.  Just a thought.  

as long as this derby is going we will likly continue to fish it

I moved to  Cayuga to Seneca two years ago.  2 years ago the fishing was out of this world.  I never experienced anything like it.  24" salmon going 6lbs?  Not on Cayuga...  Then it just seemed to take a crap.  

This year I'm back on Cayuga and glad I made the switch.  However there are a lot of juvenile lampreys in the system.  They don't do a lot of lampriciding here on Cayuga because they depend on the Fishway damn to much.  They will *uck it up...  Lampreys come out of the streams after 4-5 years of being born.  IMO these Lamprey are from 2012 when the lake went into flood stage.  I dont believe the treatment got them all!  What will next year hold?

Edited by vogel451

The lakes go in cycles.... seneca will come back. Besides, cayuga sucked for two years while seneca was great... now vise versa..

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think that Seneca is and always will be the queen finger lake. She is massive and can be finicky. The fish are there you just have to do more scouting on Seneca. Love Cayuga but it too has its hot spots and cold ones. I do agree with Nick they cycle, I think with the amount of bait.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

Yes Nick is correct.....over the years the two have cycled back and forth and although many factors appear to be involved I wonder about the lamprey populations impacting the fishing in each of them. Lately I have noticed some pretty big adult lampreys on the lakers in Seneca and those adults can do some real damage on the fish over time. I haven't seen many juvenile lampreys and that is a good sign if accurate. On the downside I haven't been seeing nearly as many juvenile fish either.The presence of  many juvenile lampreys may signal a real concern for upcoming years on Cayuga. Hope fully the lack of them on Senecamay reflect the fact that the previous lampracide treatments are taking effect on Seneca now but those adults have quite a long life cycle too.

Edited by Sk8man

The south end of Cayuga produced a bunch of smaller classed Lakers this spring, 16-20" So maybe its where they like to be or they are feeding on different forage..

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

great lakes lure maker I would like to thank you for the hard work you have already done .      keeping the information flowing has already improve the derby to me . I would like   to see you on the board if you are already not thanks again

X2

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you! I am not on the board, however I am one of a handfull of guys who are looking to be on the board and hope to provide some positive input, bring new blood in the form of sponsorship and find adequate staffing for weigh in locations that can keep updates current time.

I really appreciate all the input and good advise from the LOU community! I knew I would find what I was looking for from all the folks who are here for a common goal, and that is to improve fisheries everywhere we that we are a part of!

So I thank you all and look forward to hearing more from you in the coming months. I will have an update after the June 15th meeting. The best thing we all can do right now is be positive and help in any way...

I have a "first round" group of individuals for them to consider. Until the 15th of June, I can't invite anyone, because I was invited... The meetings are private, like the FLTA. But I will be sure to give you updates once the time comes.

Thanks Jason for the information, I would suggest that if anyone has a serious interest in attending to reach out to Colin Morehouse or Jim Fluker. They are present during the derby down at either the weigh in at Geneva or the sign up location prior to at Lake street winery. I think from what's been said about this being a critical moment in time with this possibly ending, I wouldn't want anyone with good intentions of keeping it alive prevented from attending. Go right to the source if you have a strong interest! I for one want to hear what the deal is and what future plans are being discussed.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Thanks Jason for the information, I would suggest that if anyone has a serious interest in attending to reach out to Colin Morehouse or Jim Fluker. They are present during the derby down at either the weigh in at Geneva or the sign up location prior to at Lake street winery. I think from what's been said about this being a critical moment in time with this possibly ending, I wouldn't want anyone with good intentions of keeping it alive prevented from attending. Go right to the source if you have a strong interest! I for one want to hear what the deal is and what future plans are being discussed.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I am hoping to meet with them both and Chris kanyon at some point during the derby. Jim Fluker and Collin are both aware were trying to make this work out. I've already met them from Sports o Rama and was hoping to get some media support this year.

Frogger, after reading your post again, you are right! If you have the time and motivation to go to Geneva, please look for chris Kanyon to have your voice heard in their publication. As far as Collin and Jim, let them know how you feel! By all means, if you have the time or you are in Geneva, tell them about how much support was generated here! Tell them how proud we all are to keep this event as is, but only better!

I missed your point at first read, but after a second read, you made a very good point!!

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

630 as of this morning registered. They have not asked Geneva yet if they wanted to do it. The write up in the paper from the "sports writer" was just stirring up things according to Morehouse. Sounds like the teachers, barbers, and fx trollers still want this to happen and I'm positive something will get figured out. I gave my name and phone number to contact me about the future and where I can help.... We'll see....

Sorry to change subject a bit but I forgot to register of all things. I blame the wife for not mailing them 2 months ago. Are they still in that little office by the ice rink in North End in Geneva. Or where do I go to sign up near Geneva outside of Roy's