-
Posts
13,929 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Store
Everything posted by Sk8man
-
Sold / Closed 1989 Boston Whaler 27 for sale
Sk8man replied to John E Powell's topic in Boats for Sale
You sure can tell you've taken very good care of your "baby" too John. I cherish my 18 Ventura and have never had a nervous moment in her on Lake O. Whalers are second to none in the boat department and yours is a wonderful specimen. Best of luck with the sale. I would imagine once someone gets a look at the price of a new one at the shows they will be VERY interested -
-
2017 Upgrade to LOU - Notice
Sk8man replied to BlueEye's topic in Welcome to Lake Ontario United - Fishing Forum
Thanks for the "heads up" Chad. You do a great job with this site and we all appreciate your efforts. Have a great holiday season by the way -
-
Thanks Esox. The one thing I should add regarding the drill/auger approach is something that I have mentioned in previous posts is that the majority of the fishing I do is a foot through15 inches max. of ice or less. Up north I know the ice can get much thicker than that so the results would differ greatly with the much thicker ice (e.g. 2 or 3 ft or more etc). That is where the power auger approach excels.
-
The latching and holding is a main reason I switched to the Duo locks years ago as well as the fact that they have a well rounded snap face so that the action of the lure whether spoon or stick tends to be better than many of the other options I used to use (e.g. coast locks etc.). I guess the bottom line is whatever option you have faith in and what seems to work best for you is what you go with and personal preference is a factor in all this stuff
-
I think you're going to enjoy the change Esox
-
Changing from cable to braid on my riggers. Thoughts & Suggestions?
Sk8man replied to DJ 17's topic in Open Lake Discussion
A few things to consider: 1. I'd be leery of anecdotal reports of increased catches because it can be a function of many unrelated factors even if true so it probably shouldn't be a main factor for switching. 2. When the fleas are really bad or heavily clustered in spots both wire and braid will; collect them and when it happens on either you will probably be thinking 'I wish I had gone with the other" . 3. With the frequency of lost probes that have been reported with cable I wouldn't be thinking that braid would be better. 4. My hunch is that braid might cut through the water a little better with the same type and size of weight for similar pound test because it has a smaller diameter (yielding less "blow back". 5. Braid is quieter in the water given that all other things are the same in the comparison but the opinion about whether the noise from wire either repels or attracts fish or certain fish for that matter is still open to question. This issue is a bit like the depth finder/transducer signal noise in the water as some view it to repel fish while others(myself included) believe that it isn't always the case because in ice fishing where the signal is constantly used in shallow water the fish do not appear bothered by it and it may depend on something like frequency). As in other aspects of fishing sometimes it is best to try your own experiment and make your own experience based conclusions. -
-
-
You'll have a lot more and better control of things if you do hand load and experiment along the way. Once you have a good feel of it your confidence in your shots will increase dramatically.
-
-
-
-
Some great info right here...thanks Jimski http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/more-chinook-salmon-stocking-cuts-proposed.567335/page-71#post-6075822
-
-
The solid ring can make a big difference Mikey because with the split ring type the line can get caught in the depression and cut itself off (don't ask how I know ).
-
-
Man.... they may think the cottage owners around the lake used to b!@#h a lot in the past wait until they implement this Sounds like another great idea from government...they have a lot of them....and few of them seem to work well.
-
SOLID RING ball bearing swivel and use a Duolock snap for the snap itself.
-
-
I agree with the possible feeding scenario and have in the past found some packed with those shrimp out deep. The lack of them in the shallower water in the usual places until later on when the water became "murkier" was also interesting and the ones we did catch out in 60 ft. had mainly either nothing in their stomachs or else partly digested crayfish which presumably they found in shallower but maybe not.
-
As I go along reading and thinking about the apparent decrease in available fish, the appearance of Zebras and Quaggas in the water (with their extreme straining activity) as well as other invasives present that the primary causative set of problems is at the microscopic level and basically taking out a critical link near the base of the food chain (phytoplankton and zooplankton). These microrganisms are collapsing probably for more than one reason ranging from the presence of chemical toxins in the water (e..g. waste effluents, pesticides from lawns and other places, ineffective levels of basic bio-limiting factors like nitrates and phosphates relating to photosynthesis, and the depositing of harmful substances in the sediment within the lakes. The sum total of this activity in combination is negatively affecting the presence of food for the baitfish of various sizes and species, the spawning of both bait and the fish above it in the chain and those fish with highly specific diets as in the case of salmon (vs. rainbows and browns etc.) are most quickly and severely affected. The previous severe winters theory can be tossed in for good measure. The increased clarity of the water from the zebras and quaggas straining out everything is probably pushing other species such as smaller perch and bass out to greater depths to avoid predators in the clear water too. I know we were catching perch in 60 ft of water on Canandaigua Lake this summer and early Fall and they didn't seem to be present in the usual places shallower when the water was gin clear and they were very pale in appearance suggesting they had been at depth for some time.






