Jump to content

Sk8man

Professional
  • Posts

    13,929
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sk8man

  1. It is the downrigger not the cable that uses the positive ion charge so it probably doesn't make any difference as long as it is steel cable
  2. When younger I could sit in it touch it etc. without consequences but once I did have a reaction to it (throwing cut trees through a chipper without a shirt on and getting a bad case of it ) I became highly sensitized thereafter. There seems to be a reverse tolerance for it (i.e. increased sensitization with subsequent exposure so he may need to be real careful around it.
  3. Accustrand (Cablestrand Corporation) or Torpedo brand have served me well
  4. Always good to see ladies involved in the sport too
  5. And the winner is..... There is also something to be said for selecting the same reels for the particular usage e.g. divers vs. downriggers for each setup especially if you have other folks going with you on the boat. With a mixture of reels e.g. one rigger reel that is a Diawa and another that is a Tekota that have a different feel and operate slightly different in the heat of the moment it can create a little confusion and that may be all that is need for a fish to get off.
  6. Beautiful dog John. Hope he gets a great work-out this season.
  7. When it comes to GPS stuff Garmin devices are usually top notch; the depth finders seem to be so so from the reviews i have seen. I think if it was just a GPS with mapping standalone I was looking for I'd stick with them as long as you don't have to interface it with your other stuff. I think Garmin integrates Navionics with its LakeVu software.
  8. I believe they usually come in 12 and 9 inch sizes if this makes any difference. It is also important to know the spread of the holes intended for use unless you intend to drill as each application can be a different span between screw holes as well as the hole diameter itself. The gimbals are not all the same but most do have a 30 degree angle that usually anchors to toward the bow. There are some inset holders installed in boats with the tube straight down or to the side. The screw holes of Cannon tracks are not aligned with the screw holes in either the Cannon tracks or the common generic ones by the way.
  9. You are correct. I didn't word it very well I was referring to the entire life cycle and where it occurs entirely in fresh water and it is 3-10 years in duration. I have read in the past that in the oceans they have a longer life span (e.g. 4- 15 years where they live and then breed in freshwater but I have also seen 4 yrs in the ocean in another article so I'm not sure) http://www.glfc.org/sea-lamprey-lifecycle.php There are 19 - 43 different types too (depending on source) and some are non-parasitic.
  10. Can be15 years plus for adults from what I have read.
  11. They use very strict protocols to administer the lampricide to minimize collateral damage and the treatments have to be carried out when not windy, waterflow is right etc.The treatment doesn't kill the adult or juvenile lampreys it only affects the larval stage in the mud and sediment.
  12. Sk8man

    Canandaigua Strange Trip

    I was there on the west side and marked a lot of bait with fish mixed in and nearby in the 70 -90 ft range. I caught 3 rainbows and a laker 60-70 ft down over 70-76 ft. All rigger action nothing on 300 copper or 7 color leadcore. I had some interesting display shots of some interested fish and I believe I may have caught two of them (rainbows) just a couple minutes after they appeared on screen. Some nice bait pods marked today as well.
  13. There have been several problems with flooding and them getting over barriers and the treatment is complicated. Weather conditions have to be pretty exact to avoid collateral fish/other organisms kills etc. In years past the environmentalists presented some objections to treatment for Cayuga delaying things significantly.
  14. Congrats! Beauty Always seems incredible to me that something grows that big in that little shallow lake
  15. The battery harness certainly is quite delicate
  16. Cool good luck with it Dan.
  17. Nice color stripe on that one too John.
  18. Great pic John
  19. I think I would be looking at the north end of Cayuga. For smallies I would think start at where it drops off (starting at about 17 or 18 ft) near Canoga toward south on the west side and from Frontenac to Farley's Point on the east side. Largemouth all along the extreme north end weeds both sides.
  20. Priceless!
  21. No guarantee just worth a try
  22. It may not be the transducer location that is the problem. I wonder if setting the ping rate higher might help? I think there is a glitch in the software though as I have had it happen right at start up in the past too. Sometimes I have had to change the depth range manually from auto to say 250 and let it acquire bottom and then change it back to auto and turn it off then back on.
  23. Maybe Wally knows the answer. I never saved my waypoints etc.as I keep the specific fishing spots in my head.
  24. Littering is a far greater problem than just the Salmon River or New York State for that ma\tter. The oceans of thew world are becoming waste dumps and take a look at the road ways nearly anyplace you travel and folks have thrown out cig butts, beer cans, McDonald's bags full of trash etc.. I will say it seems less of a problem in some of the western states but they also tend of have smaller populations too. It is truly a shame The folks doing this just don't care and the problem is so extensive with poor ability to monitor or intervene to prevent. Now people are saying lets explore Mars....yeah right that will make another great trash dump.
×
×
  • Create New...