Chamberlain Releases

Both styles of the Chamberlains work well  and are less cumbersome than the Rohmers. I believe there is a max pressure setting of 4 lbs on them but they excel at lighter settings. I ocasionally use the stacker version for that purpose but I favor Black releases over others because they have just about infinite pressure settings so that when tightened they stay that way under load from dodger/flasher/Spin Docs.

I've been using the Chamberline releases for a few years now and would never use any of the other types of releases on the market at this time. but i bought some of the stackers but never got around to actually using them but I did check them out dry fishing and will say I liked the way they are made. if I ever use Stakers you can bet the Chamberlain will be my first choice.

I dont use the stackers but used the regular chamberlain releases last summer for my first full summer trolling. I was happy with them. Took a short time to adjust correctly but worked well after that. Id have to imagine the stacker release is very similar. Customer service was good when I had any questions as well. Hope this helps.

I have used Chamberlin releases both the stackers and the standard releases for years.  There are pros and cons to them.  The biggest con for the stacker is you have to hold it on the cable while you lower your first rod.  Wich at times can be cumbersome.  The release button on the side can stick and can lead to having the release either fail or getting it ripped out of your hand.  The other con I have found is the cable guides are made of plastic and the down rigger cable over time will cut groves in to them making the release unusable or at least unreliable.   I also now have found that the last cable change I did on my downriggers the stacker don't slide on the cable like they are supposed to making them unusable.  2 different brand new releases with the same issue.  The pros of them are they have a ton of adjustment and when they are working correctly are great.  The auto release function when they reach the down rigger is nice especially for riggers with auto stop.   I find it easy to miss light bites on occasion with both the standard and the stacker clips.  My preference for stacker clips is Scottys with the trot line clip that attaches to the downrigger cable.  Only down fall of them is you have to remember to remove the clip when bringing up your downrigger or it will get stuck in the cable guide on the down rigger boom or get ripped off and thrown in the lake.   In my opinion if you don't have supper fast downriggers go with the Scott's stacker style it is way more basic and user friendly 

I run Chamberlains (non stacker) for walleyes and am totally convinced that they are to best for light biters. One tip: I keep an 8" loop of heavy braid near my riggers. I use it to set my adjustments instead of the line from my rod.  Apply tension up for rod release tension, tension out for lure release. Way more manageable.

Tight lines

My "go to" for stacking is something I rigged up about 40 years ago (or more) and it has worked fine. It follows the principle of "simplicity can make sense":smile:

The trot line clip fastens to the downrigger cable at the one end of it by clipping to cable at the desired spot on the cable after the main lure is sent down. The rubber band is tied at one end to the lure line set out to desired length and then snapped into the duolock snap which is held to the trotline clip by shrink tubing. After release and the downrigger cable is retrrieved the trotline clip comes to the end of the downrigger and slides in place to be retrieved and used again.

releaseclip.JPG

Edited by Sk8man

14 hours ago, Lily 2 said:

I have used Chamberlin releases both the stackers and the standard releases for years.  There are pros and cons to them.  The biggest con for the stacker is you have to hold it on the cable while you lower your first rod.  Wich at times can be cumbersome.  The release button on the side can stick and can lead to having the release either fail or getting it ripped out of your hand.  The other con I have found is the cable guides are made of plastic and the down rigger cable over time will cut groves in to them making the release unusable or at least unreliable.   I also now have found that the last cable change I did on my downriggers the stacker don't slide on the cable like they are supposed to making them unusable.  2 different brand new releases with the same issue.  The pros of them are they have a ton of adjustment and when they are working correctly are great.  The auto release function when they reach the down rigger is nice especially for riggers with auto stop.   I find it easy to miss light bites on occasion with both the standard and the stacker clips.  My preference for stacker clips is Scottys with the trot line clip that attaches to the downrigger cable.  Only down fall of them is you have to remember to remove the clip when bringing up your downrigger or it will get stuck in the cable guide on the down rigger boom or get ripped off and thrown in the lake.   In my opinion if you don't have supper fast downriggers go with the Scott's stacker style it is way more basic and user friendly 

8 hours ago, Sk8man said:

My "go to" for stacking is something I rigged up about 40 years ago (or more) and it has worked fine. It follows the principle of "simplicity can make sense":smile:

The trot line clip fastens to the downrigger cable at the one end of it by clipping to cable at the desired spot on the cable after the main lure is sent down. The rubber band is tied at one end to the lure line set out to desired length and then snapped into the duolock snap which is held to the trotline clip by shrink tubing. After release and the downrigger cable is retrrieved the trotline clip comes to the end of the downrigger and slides in place to be retrieved and used again.

releaseclip.JPG

I have trouble with the trot line style releases getting jammed in the cable puly at the end of.the down rigger and either ripping the release off the cable or jamming I. The end of the down rigger so badly it pops the fuse on the downrigger.  If I don't catch it on the retrieval and stop the rigger bad things happen.  My old cannon mag 10 didn't do it but the mag 10 STX I'm using now give me the problem I think it's because the retrieve so fast.  Just not fast enough I want to stand there and wait.  Usually trying to reset and reel in the stacker rod when bad things happen.  

Ah.....I have kept 3 Mag 10A's and one Digitroll in service rather than go to the newer Cannons purposely as I prefer the slower retrieval rate and lack of problems, so the clip nests in them fine when retrieved so I understand the concern.  I use the slower retrieval rate to rig things or change out lures while the rigger weight is one the way up. Dinosaurs like me have learned patience over the years:lol: I also have the drag on the riggers set so that if I don't get to it right away it just keeps the weight there while the wheel spins on the 10A's. I don't have autostop on them (thankfully in my view)

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1