So what is the opinion on downrigger steel cable humm, do you think it scares the fish? I heard of people using braid to reduce the humm but will my autostop still work on my cannon mag10's with braid? Any solution to cable humm on my mag 10's? Most of the time it doesnt bother me but on slow days I'm driven crazy by the humm and think it has to scare fish. I don't know how the positive ion works or what that is that cannon boasts about.

1 hour ago, dreamsteelie said:

Wire rocks on riggers !  We catch lots of rigger fish-tight and even high.  Would never switch.  My 2 cents.

Lots of fish also drawn into downrigger sets-some bite-some curious.  May be the wire/weights but it works,

Captain Pete

V.Q.

Thanks Pete, what got me thinking was Casey prisco mentioning he uses Shimano power pro braid on a fish hawk podcast...nice to know I'm not missing something!

I will add a couple more things. Some of the guys using braid also use it for depth.  They happen to be deeeeep meat guys and feel braid allows more depth/less line. Casey for sure likes braid for that reason, esp when has has to laker fish a lot during the season. We catch a lot of browns when in BT mode. Our best rigger is usually our deepest with 15 ft ball to spoon lead.  

Lastly, one of the reasons wire divers catch fish and a lot of big fish, is the same hummmm. Its the same steel except smaller diameter.  When we want stealth/fishing high, we use 20# mono and divers for the non-humm/stealth plus allows us to get mono lil further out on sides (divers run on a 3 to 4 setting-dialed) out for high salmon/trout OR skinny water stagers/fish browns.  But deeper run diver fish hardly resist wire diver offerings. VS Braid

Catch em up this season seeyawader.

Captain Pete

V.Q.

Theories on "the humm" are just that with no scientific data to back it. Like most things in our sport. 

Switching to braid definitely gets rid of the humm, but the main purpose is to fish deeper with less blowback. 150lb braid vs 150lb cable the braid is thinner.