Sunline Supernatural NoFlea Line Review

Picked up some 30# Sunline Supernatural NoFlea Line from Fish USA a week or so ago and tried it out today for the first time.  $40 got you 1,200 yards so not terribly expensive.

My first impression was this stuff feels like a good quality line.  Compared to regular mono it stretches a lot less but just feels good.  It is also quite a bit thinner than "regular" line.  The specs say 30# is .017.  20# Big Game is .018 so it is actually thinner than a tried and true 20#.

I wanted to see how well this stuff compared to "regular" line so I only spooled up one of my reels.  The other had 20# yozuri hybrid.  (OK maybe not regular line but at least something to compare to)  I really did not do any scientific tests with this stuff but at least I had a control.  I had both rods down within 20 feet of each other and left them down for about a half hour or so fishing out of Sandy Creek at around 150fow today.  Fleas were pretty bad.  When i picked up both rods they both had a LOT of fleas on them.  The Sunline didnt seem to be any better.  I fished the rest of the morning with this stuff and am not impressed.  My first impression is that if it helped, the results were minimal.  That said, this seems like a good quality line.  Reviews of the regular sunline supernatural are great and their flouro is top notch IMO.  I will update this post after a couple more trips with my final opinion.  

Does anyone have any luck with other no flea line? In the past I sprayed my mono with silicone and that seemed to help a bit.  I do want to try that at some point with this stuff and see if that helps.

20230626_215656.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.  I have been using the regular Sunline Supernatural mono line for several years and I love it.  It does have less stretch than most mono lines.  I'm bummed to hear their new No Flea line wasn't very effective.  But also not that surprised I guess because the fleas are so relentless right now.   I bought a spool of 30 and 40 and waiting for it to arrive in the mail.  I'll probably try the 40 first and see if maybe it's a little better than the 30.  But yeah, they both have pretty low diameter for the strength.  That's another reason I like their line.  I've been using the Blood Run 30lb flea line and it's pretty good but I don't like how slick it is and have had knots pull out a few times.  But there aren't many options these days.  I'll report back after I try the Sunline 40 lb No Flea.

• Like 1

I guess in all fairness to the various manufacturers trying to beat this perplexing problem I don't see any total solution to the problem. Flea densities vary greatly throughout the water column and when they are at their height in terms of density they will adhere to about anything regardless of component makeup or diameter. I have had them clog the downrigger cable so thick that the rigger barely retrieved. Most of the time the lines go in and out of the various densities of fleas giving different results on the various lines and some spots on the water don't seem to have them at all. A lot of times folks assume that their lines are the reason that they don't have fleas accruing on them which may not actually be the case; they may just be fishing in spots where there are none or fewer flea densities. I have used the 30 lb SeaFlee line on my riggers for about ten years. It seems to perhaps shed them better than  the 30 lb mono lines I have tried alongside it but they still get on there. Any line connection (e.g. swivels or knots) are particularly prone to picking them up regardless of setup. Like a lot of things in life there appears to be no "silver bullet" at present. Checking lines more frequently and keeping a flea scraper handy seem to be the current options.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

I also use 30# big game . It seems to work OK . When I first started using heavy line I used 40 # Mason mono. Cheap snagging line . It worked great . Probably because it was a larger diameter than good line of the same # test . $2.49 did 4 reels . Then at the end of the season I put I back on the spool and used it the next season . When the fleas showed up  I put it back on. Never had a problem with it. Spend the money if you want  , but you don't have to . 

Not sure what these manufacturers are waiting for. Unless their is a patent on the line, then they need to copy the 20# Flea Flicker that Cortland quit making for some reason. I get ZERO fleas.

• Like 1

Agreed on the Flea Flicker. But that Maxima Ultragreen 30 lb that you turned me onto picks up so few fleas that it's not really an issue. I mean, our wire divers have more.