On 7/16/2023 at 11:21 AM, GAMBLER said:

I have no idea what you guys are doing to lose probes.....  I have been running cannon downriggers for 20+ years and never lost a probe.  I am anal about checking for kinks, and frays.  If you have a kink or fray in the cable and you continue to run your probe on that rigger you can't blame Cannon or their equipment.  

So there you have it , user error . Must be you guys don't know how to properly use downriggers . 

You trying to tell me when they tested these units they  were not aware how abruptly they stop and what could happen ? Why not supply a snubber ? Big money in downrigger weights and new probes . 

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

So there you have it , user error . Must be you guys don't know how to properly use downriggers . 

You trying to tell me when they tested these units they  were not aware how abruptly they stop and what could happen ? Why not supply a snubber ? Big money in downrigger weights and new probes . 

Agreed, the new cannons stop so violently they break rigger weights off,,,I lost a couple weights myself. This year I replaced my cable with heavier 180lb test to try to prevent this from happening. It's a fact.

15 hours ago, HB2 said:

They stop abruptly but frays and kinks in the cable are on the user.  I agree that snubbers should be included on these riggers but Hummingbird couldn't even give me a screen protector for the fish finder I purchased this spring.  I had to buy it.  

49 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

They stop abruptly but frays and kinks in the cable are on the user.  I agree that snubbers should be included on these riggers but Hummingbird couldn't even give me a screen protector for the fish finder I purchased this spring.  I had to buy it.  

Agreed that there may have been a kink or fray in the line,,however, the violent stops contribute to the cables getting frayed,,,I never had problem with my old cannons, they were slow but that may have helped,,cannon has a problem here,,I replace my rigger cable every year, now with the 180 lb test it has been good so far, so maybe that and snubber will be the solution.

New ones are junk  IMO . 

Much better options that might cost more , but maybe cheaper in the long run . 

Older ones were better 

A freind broke off second trip . That's not user error . 

It's kind of insulting to say that 

Edited by HB2