Tandem trailer for 19’ islander

tim

Been looking for a tandem axle trailer for my 19 foot Islander . Want to be a little safer on the highway than a single axle. Why do most of the trailers I find online say no paperwork. Don’t really want to spend 6000 on a new trailer. 

6 hours ago, tim said:

Been looking for a tandem axle trailer for my 19 foot Islander . Want to be a little safer on the highway than a single axle. Why do most of the trailers I find online say no paperwork. Don’t really want to spend 6000 on a new trailer. 

some states don't require anything at all or just the old registration. TN doesn't have to have any plates, titles, or registration at all. I bought a trailer in Wi and needed to title it in In and was told i had to get a title from the seller. they got the book and it said all trailers in Wi had to be titled. and they wouldn't give me a title or plates. then I kept arguing it didn't need titled in Wi. then a new girl at the BMV was trying to help me so we were looking at the book and about a paragraph further it said trailers that weighed less than so much were exempt. 

check the state where the trailer is the check with the BMV in both states to find out what is required.

8 hours ago, tim said:

I don’t think a double axle would improve your road safety a lot. Moving some heavy equipment from the back of the boat to the front so there is more weight on the tongue will be very helpful. I haul my 19 foot Islander on a 19 foot trailer at 65 mph without any problems.

Got it,bought my islander in Massachusetts had all kinds of problems till I researched it and found out it was originally a boat on Cayuga. No problem after that.

Had a 24’ fiberglass fished out of Gloucester bringing it home in fall 65 mph 1 of the tires blew. Scared the hell out of me. That’s the main reason for a tandem axle. Makes me more at ease. And I didn’t know trailer registration were different in other states. thank you for the info. Tim

On 7/17/2023 at 9:08 AM, tim said:

Tim, I have a 2004 galvanized tandem I’d like to sell. Title in hand. $1800. 

Going to be hard to find a tandem trailer for a 19 islander.  Not many out there with a GVW less than 3500 lbs which is really all that is needed at most.

Seems to me that it would make more sense to become over-zealous on trailer maintenance, like switching out tires far far sooner than one normally would for your own piece of mind.  Can do a lot of trailer maintenance for the cost of the switch out in terms of trailers.  Just a thought.   

I speak from experience.  I had a tire blow out on a tandem trailer as well.  Scary at the time but now just a distance memory.