How far behind downrigger

Absolutely run them on your riggers. I usually always run one on my deepest rigger,  20' behind the ball, but you can run it shorter or longer. I then stagger my other lines back alittle further so if the fish don't hit the flasher, they my fall back and hit a spoon. They might not always hit the flasher, but it draws them into your spread.  You can run a fixed stacker with another rod, but make sure it's high enough so they don't tangle.  That flasher is whipping around down there pretty good.  I would not run a slider, just asking for a mess.

47 minutes ago, risackila said:

Thank you very much. 

I've been doing this a while but that never means you can't learn.  I tend to run things back a ways.  I saw comments that made sense on flasher flies on fish I couldn't get to hit but some were.   It was to run the flasher fly really close....like 3 to 5 feet from the ball.  reasoning was that it makes it turn faster....how much I don't know and I have not tried it....but it was "different" than others were doing.  The comment was on staging fish and coho's more specifically.  I'm not saying to believe it but its just something I picked up that I thought was different than my usual approach.  Just more data to make you nuts lol.  

12ft, don't know where I got that number from but that's what I do. If fish are looking but not biting I will adjust the distance sometimes but I always start at 12ft. You definitely don't want to run a slider with a FF on the rigger or you will end up with a mess every time. A slider with a spoon on the rigger is fine and I do that pretty much anytime I have rigger deeper than 20ft. 

A couple things that may be worth mentioning: the distance back of the weight is something of a preference issue but it also depends on what type of attractor you intend to use before the fly. A Spin Doctor acts very different from a flasher and both from a dodger. In general the tighter to the ball you locate any of them the the more potential action from the attractor. I like to observe how they actually look next to the boat before fully submerging them. The length of the leader to the fly also can be important, and again it depends on which attractor is being used. It pays to look at how the setup is operating in the water before sending it to make sure it looks right.  In general, the deeper you go with the rigger the closer to the weight you can be and this is especially true when down past 100 ft where you may encounter a mix of lakers and chinooks.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I usually run them at 17 feet and away from the spoons. If you run them closer, you will have to lower your rigger a bit slower, because the flasher fly may get tangled in the rigger cable.