Don’t be this guy

• 3 weeks later...

It isn't just the lake either. It is throughout our society these days.....that lack of respect and consideration for others.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HB2 said:

I think some people are just oblivious to what is going on around them.

Did you ever drive on the thruway and have someone in the passing lane for miles backing up traffic ?  

this is true and here's something to consider for all....especially knowlegeable private boat captains.  I had 3 guys on my boat for the last 2 days. Normally I'm solo /+1 knowledgeable.   If you have more  guys, you run more stuff and try to be the good guy and teach and "try" to reliquish some control to not be a dick.  more explanations, more rigging while you or someone is driving.  Tough conditions the last few days in Mexico and I was pushing to get fish.   I had zero problems...BUT  i approached a few and that was with minimal traffic so my guard was down. **** was deep so "I knew" how long people were running lines.....but my guys didn't understand it despite how much I explained.   I have a good sized but smaller boat, my fuel burn is low which i appreciate.    This years weather perhaps I don't appreciate so much lol.  I know a lot of private boat guys with bigger boats who have a greater (soooo understandable) need for folks to come and help and help with fuel etc. I totally get that and its hard to keep the "good" guys always coming with you.    I had no problems, fixed it all and a few times I had to jump in and correct abruptly (a few times) after stating the need clearly (I thought) but your head is on a swivel.  In heavy traffic I would have dropped my rod count and type accordingly.  Not all think that way and need to do so ....burden especially on knowledgeable captains.  Safety is #1 for me and I hope for all but its easy to get distracted.  my guys all are good with my super curt and abrupt commands  and I warn them in advance but it can be hard to give your buddys both some level of control some level of learning and not be a total dick.  Autopilot only makes that more challenging (easy to think all is well).  keep teaching...keep correcting....and keep learning as the responsible captains we want us all to be.  Oh and its still OK to be pissed at BS when it happens...even if its you....no excuses here.   Told my guys a couple times....can't go where we want...have to spin and circle back if we want to go there now.  

• Like 1

After reading through the thread I have share a long ago series of incidents while I was fishing Catherine Creek (one of Seneca Lake’s major spawning streams for rainbows and browns) during the annual opening week of trout season.  Back in the 1960s and early 1970’s (before Hurricane Agnes and post hurricane DEC dufasness) opening week (April 1st) the Creek was bank-to-bank arm to arm stuffed will people trying to fish… the protocol and custom was to holler out “fish on” when you hook up.  Well there was a curious cause and effect that occurred when a lucky fishermen hooked up a nice fish. The  first was everyone in close proximity would pull there lines and slide step back to the bank and one enterprising person with a stream net would assist the luucky fisherman with landing his or here fish.  The Second thing happened once the fish was secured…the multitudes would rush to the very spot and try to stake claim.  I might add there were a few fisticuffs over just whose spot was whose.  I liken these are the same type of folk who clearly don’t understand the scheme of maneuver associated with LO big water trolling and violate the customs and courtesies between respective fishing boats.  It’s like those infamous unwritten rules of sports…when they get violated everyone know exactly just how stupid the violator(s) are…

Similarly, back when the western basin of Lake Erie was the Walleye Capital of the World before the advent of zebra mussels there was a protocol for every boat to follow when setting up their drift over the shoals and reefs.  If a unsuspecting rookie boat operator violated the pattern the got the message loud and clear via the radio chatter.