I Turn My graph off .I know where to fish. Just get the joy riders out of my way. They like the 130' line. My grand dad never had the tech we have and we'll never catch the amount of fish those old timers did. Yes who every said your over thinking it he is  right. 

Crestliner I have used Suttons for nearly as long as you have been alive and I agree with your comments regarding them. I now have mainly switched to Elmer Hinckleys for my primary flutters on Seth Greens and riggers. They have slightly different action and the plating is much better than the current Suttons and the hooks are stronger. I also have a few Suttons that my grandfather used too back in the early 1900's which I very much treasure:smile:. The Suttons and Hinckleys were developed on Canandaiugua about the same time (around just before the turn of the century ( late 1800's) and they both work great on all the Fingers that have trout/salmon, and some work for walleyes as well. Both spoons were designed at a time when fishermen used rowboats to fish them so they were designed for slower speeds than some of today's spoons seem to excel at running, Some run better at select speed ranges so knowing these ranges can make things more effective when using them. I consider the Sutton flutters a bit fragile for Lake O especially the trebles they come with. I have had a king actually rip the hook right off one of them previously and it tore the rear hole open. The heavier versions work Ok with the hooks changed out to single SS salmon hooks.

Edited by Sk8man

I fished Steph green rods, Dipsy divers, Lead Core, copper didn't even put the downers on the boat this year. I like the Elmer Hinckley spoons 666 all silver all gold the silver copper the plating wears off the cup of the spoon nickel has faded but still produces the silver copper with the worn out  plating on the cup has not produce at all the original question when's it time for a change I don't know been running that spoon all season I still got my fingers crossed 😂 

I have contacted Elmer Hinckley lures about the copper finish concerns Brian. As I am sure folks realize copper is a "touchy" material and moisture  (even high humidity)can wreak havoc on it. He is looking at and working on solutions as we speak. He takes a lot of pride in his product so I'm confident it will be solved (possibly by lacquering etc.). In any event the lure action seems the most critical variable and these spoons really work very well.

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8 100 per on the same page I still use my gramps tackle box and have about 80 of his suttuns, which are at least 50 yrs old or more He died in 86 so do the math.s quick strikes , Hincks , #7 flat fish . old repulas, Flasher rigs etc .You Know. Seams the more beat up the better they work especially after a big bow hammers it . and no they ain't for the big lake.  The more brass showing throw the better. Don't no why may more natrual? Really don't care either it works so I use them with the 10 or so new ones I buy. I cant seem to make any of my big lake stuff work in the finger lakes .sure catch a few . .And I agree slower is better with the flutters. 1.5 to 1.9. I do it to honor the old guys.  and yes we have put single hooks on few. or gramps always did.Some of theses spoons are pushin 80 yrs old. I don"t use them but here always on boat. Fenton Criss Ring a bell . Arts bait shop, Seth Hodge, Byron Blazey. To Name a few. These guys all fished out of Little 16 ft. Duracrafts with 9.9 s on the back.  Catching white fish and walleyes. then trout when all that went down but  you know that story. Lets Hook up some time !!! I'm not as serious as you . Because I"m  a crazy stream fisher In spring and fall. Love them Steel head. But I'am getting to old for that HaHa. Time for boat to the heavy lifting. pardon my bad grammer and spelling.to old to care  Use heavy suttuns up on the big lake  and the take it pretty well no problems. If I Could just get them damn in line baords to stay on.motherfrigggg.  Love your Knowledge too ! (all you guys ) Have funnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

On 8/24/2023 at 6:12 PM, Crestliner said:

JK what size boat are you looking for ?

A goldilocks.

Not too big and not too small. Just right.  27' was too big. 14' is too small. 

Edited by JLK
Spelling

JLK I'm lucky I can get to boat launch in 10 minutes. Went to the Crestliner a few years back. 20 ft. over all length.18.6 sst. shes old boat did not break the bank. Have had big boats in past. Its alot of work. But this year getting close to retirement. We (I mean the captain) decided to go bigger again. Bought 22 Ft. wellcraft walk around .(after 4 months of searching) After 50 hrs. rigging fishing eq. from crestliner to wellcraft . we final took it for a ride on Canandaigua..Sunday was i mistake . But had fun any way. Big boat 5000lbs. was a breeze. to put in. Past owner pulled with 1/2 ton . I pull it with ford F- 350 dually .Which turn don't for crap.   Boat pushed off trailer with one hand. And loaded with crank easy.  Don't even feel boat back behind truck either. Just need walmart parking lot to back it up. ha ha .I Figure it out again. A lot off good deals out there rt now on 20 fters. If you can get the  Wack ohs to part them. They post em . and then back at out at last min . Had this happen multiple  times this summer. I get it she was your baby. Think before post people  that's all. Had fun lookin and shootin the bull !!!

Yes JLK model 186SST PHANTOM. Sorry I is a workin man just saw post. send phone will send pics. not as high sided as new but fast!!! very stable. good for 1 to 2 ft. chop love glass water as does all boats will get you home at slow speed when rough 10 to 20 mph. tow kids water ski or tubin too keep the fam happy. planes out . with power trim. new $1000 DOLLAR TRIM PUMP WHICH I DID NOT NEED SO COMES WITH GOOD SPARE. MY MISTAKE .I piniched a wire putting in new trim relays for up and down. Google old timmy pics  93 bought in 94 from Minisota