Salvage title

HB2

Fabricate a bill of sale and take a pencil rub of the HIN is all I can think of. I did it years ago on a 12' deep V aluminum that spent it's life on a private lake. Original sales documents not available, and no previous registration. State got the registration fees and tax on the sales amount and seemed happy with that. Got a registration renewal in the mail every 3 years since.

2 hours ago, regulator said:

Fabricate a bill of sale and take a pencil rub of the HIN is all I can think of. I did it years ago on a 12' deep V aluminum that spent it's life on a private lake. Original sales documents not available, and no previous registration. State got the registration fees and tax on the sales amount and seemed happy with that. Got a registration renewal in the mail every 3 years since.

That would work if the the boat is pre1984 from 1984 on a title is needed. You may be able to create a bill of sale from a state that does not require registration.

Edited by rolmops

There is another  legal way. You will have to go to to a NY DMV office and explain your situation. They will guide you on your next steps.

In the end you will have to send all your paperwork to the Albany DMV office, where it will be decided if you made every reasonable effort to contact the previous owner ,like sending two registered letters that are returned because they could not be delivered. You may have to be a bit creative in your answers to the questionnaire, but usually you end up with a title and the boat will yours in your name.

good luck.

Edited by rolmops

You have to get to the right person at the DMV with all your information.   Surprisingly in this situation they can be very helpful.   If the trailer is under 1000 lbs in terms of weight it can be registered as homemade.  If the boat is pre-title era, which i think is before 1988 or 1989 it will be a lot simpler process.  VIN numbers are also very helpful.