Legacy -The 2023 Deer Season-

Legacy

That sucks. At least you know you likely killed him clean since he was so close in that thicket. We found a deadhead from a buck one of our guys lost last year during bow, and it was similarly very close to where the meager blood trail ran out, but we thoroughly covered the area where it was eventually found...and so I think it expired later. How much later? Not too long, I hope.

The best you can do is try to take as ethical a shot as possible and do everything to retrieve the animal. But just like in life, sometimes **** happens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gator said:

That sucks. At least you know you likely killed him clean since he was so close in that thicket. We found a deadhead from a buck one of our guys lost last year during bow, and it was similarly very close to where the meager blood trail ran out, but we thoroughly covered the area where it was eventually found...and so I think it expired later. How much later? Not too long, I hope.

The best you can do is try to take as ethical a shot as possible and do everything to retrieve the animal. But just like in life, sometimes **** happens.

Ya that's for sure!! And ussualy I do everything and then some to find an animal I have shot that's the part that hurts the most!     So definitely take the wins with the losses and learn from them!  

Was your gun an AR platform?  I hear a lot of stories about not racking the bolt hard enough can cause the bullet to not be seated fully and the strike pin doesn’t hit the primer hard enough. 

20 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Was your gun an AR platform?  I hear a lot of stories about not racking the bolt hard enough can cause the bullet to not be seated fully and the strike pin doesn’t hit the primer hard enough. 

Yupp an AR/10.  And ya I had that happen to me in Maine once bear hunting and I couldn't even get the botl to close without literally slamming it open and closed... And trying to do it slow or quietly only caused a double feed...  I loved hunting my AR-15.  So thought I would like the 10 with the bigger round would be better...  But it's way too loud to load. And with ny stupid requirements with the no mag release and having to flip it open it is actually a pain to load and un load.  It shot great on target but in the woods  it just isn't a good gun for here, too loud to load and unload and the unloading is annoying.  I won a really nice franchi  6 5 bolt gun so took the scope off the AR and put it on the bolt gun and got it sighted in.