Cracked transducer housing and 83/200 vs 50/200 transducer?

While preparing my boat for its winter nap I noticed that my transducer has some cracking in the outer housing and I'm looking into replacing it with a 50/200 transducer.  I mostly troll for landlocks and rainbows.  I'm curious to know if anyone out there uses a 50/200 transducer instead of the standard  83/200 transducer and what their impression are? Thanks to anyone that can chime in on this

I use 50/200 because I have a Furuno setup.  I'm happy with it.

How deep do the cracks go?  You only found out while winterizing ,which implies that it worked just fine in spite of the cracks. It could be that a bit  sealant in order to prevent further cracking may do the job

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, rolmops said:

I use 50/200 because I have a Furuno setup.  I'm happy with it.

How deep do the cracks go?  You only found out while winterizing ,which implies that it worked just fine in spite of the cracks. It could be that a bit  sealant in order to prevent further cracking may do the job

Agreed. If it was working fine, I would use a plastic epoxy and call it a day. FWIW, I use an 83/200 but only because I could not find a 50/200 for my lawrence. Not much difference but you will get a bit more coverage in deeper water with the 50.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/2/2023 at 8:02 AM, Shakemsam said:

Agreed. If it was working fine, I would use a plastic epoxy and call it a day. FWIW, I use an 83/200 but only because I could not find a 50/200 for my lawrence. Not much difference but you will get a bit more coverage in deeper water with the 50.

The Lowrance 50/200 is a 600 watts transducer vs 300 for the 83/200

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 50/200 with my older Furuno, as Rolmops does. Loved it. I now have a Hummingbird with the standard transducer that came with the Helix 9. I have notice a slight drop off when searching at a higher speed and sometimes loose bottom. Never had the issue with the 50/200. 

Not sure if that is the specific reason, but seems to be a difference. 

Dave