Shore Bite

Wanted to create this post to see when does the shore bite tend to pick up on Seneca and Cayuga? I do remember reading a previous thread saying March can be good, but wasnt sure when in late fall/early winter does one have a shot at Landlocks, Browns and even Lakers? I live 4-4.5 hrs so looking to maximize my drive time. Also, is there a good resource other than DEC to get surface water temps?

Thank you in advance!!

The shore bite for lakers starts in October where you can access steep drop-offs from shore(80’+). The brown and landlocks are usually crashing the surface at that time tight to shore. For many years I always used fresh floating egg sacks and 1 Oz. Egg sinkers and always caught trout.  Last couple times I went everyone was using sawbellies and egg sacks were unheard of.  Still did my thing and caught lakers when nobody else was moving a rod.  The bite continues right into February but never fished later than that because I’m usually fishing through the ice by then. 

Edited by greenhornet73
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Starts in October, will actually last all winter long, if you can stand the cold.. Just be aware, do not expect "hot " fishing all the time.. For every good day, you might have 10 where you never even get a bite.. There are always fish near shore all winter long, but there can be   weeks long lulls where very few fish are caught... The guys that do well put a LOT of time in, and are very patient.. This type of fishing can really humble you for days on end, never a hit, but you never know when you show up with no hope, , no bait, and the wrong type lures/rods etc. and catch 3 Trout or LL salmon in an hour, each as long as a man's leg.. Put the time in, work it hard, and be patient, and you might catch some real trophies in mid winter off shore... bob

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...