Slide Diver question

I've been running inline boards for a few years now in skinny water from my 15' tiller boat. Next spring I will be adding lite bit slide divers to my offerings. Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for lbs of pressure needed to trip the lite bite arm? I want the divers to trip instead of dragging around small fish but don't want them to "false trip." Anu help would be appreciated.

16 hours ago, SusanJames said:

I've been running inline boards for a few years now in skinny water from my 15' tiller boat. Next spring I will be adding lite bit slide divers to my offerings. Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for lbs of pressure needed to trip the lite bite arm? I want the divers to trip instead of dragging around small fish but don't want them to "false trip." Anu help would be appreciated.

I use them on Erie for walleye. i set the lite bite as loose as it will go then set the rod tension tight enough so I'm not getting false releases. with the lite bite set extra loose, I get releases on just about all hits even from small white perch or larger yellow perch. i haven't had any problems with hookups with them set loose whatsoever.

I switched to the lite bites a few years ago and would never think about switching back. I run 3 per side and 1 downrigger per side. but I don't use the slide feature on them. I just tie it to the front arm then tie a short piece of 65# braid to an o-ring then lace it through the little block in front of the lite bite arm then lace it through the lite bite arm. but I use a snubber that I tie onto the short piece of braid then tie on a good swivel then tie on a 7' fluro leader and tie another good swivel on the end of the leader and then attach my lure. 

if you don't use a snubber then there's no need for the short piece of braid, just use the leader for the whole thing. and some people don't use snubbers, but using braid line for my main line which is a must for tripping divers I feel better adding a snubber to give the fish a little flex when they start shaking and jerking their head.

Set them loose - if they false trip with the speed you are running and what you are pulling - reel in and give half turn on screw - repeat until you get release tension so that it holds at trolling speed plus a little more and you will be right where you need to be.

Thanks for all the help guys....second question; will the divers slide freely on 40lb Big Game? testing them in my shop they seem to stick where the mono runs through the tubing. They slide fine if I eliminate the tubing and lock the front release directly on the 40lb Big Game but I'm worried about compromising the mono doing that? Thanks again, Bob

Yes divers slide well on 40# mono ( I don’t actually use big game but don’t think that’s an issue). 40# mono is imho the ‘right’ stuff, it will last a season without getting compromised by wear unless accidentally nicked. I’ve gotten so I only use a 20’ stretch because much more than that seems unnecessary 

I use braid or wire for main line and tie in mono for the diver to slide on.  Usually 35 or 40 feet for walleye.  30lb Big Game will work but I do find it wants to curl up after a bit so 40lb is a bit better.  I’ve been using Maxima 40lb leader material the last few years and that is better yet. For a weekend guy either 30 or 40lb Big Game is Ok plus reasonable.  I use the standard mono spring and lock down with surgical tubing never an issue with slide down.  On the light bite arm I put a piece of the thin clear tube the diver comes with so the line can’t slip out of arm.  Usually run a high and low diver on each side when currents permit.

Thanks again guys. Whaler, I'm running 65lb Power Pro with a double uni to the 40lb Big game then bead and bead chain swivel to 7' Seagur Blu leader with crosslock snap. I pull mostly spoons and occasionally shallow diving crankbaits/minnows.

• Like 1