Transducer selection: in-hull vs through-hull

So in the spring I’ll be rigging up my boat with Garmin echomaps at the dash. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with in hull transducers. As of right now I plan on using an airmar b117(same as b60 but not angled) but the idea of not cutting a hole in the bottom intrigues me. The in hull I’m looking at is either a   P74 or p79. I believe all these transducers are the same element. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated 

If your boat is aluminum it won't work. If it is fiberglass it will. If your boat is molded plastic (very few) I don't know.

The ones that I have seen are all installed in their own little water tank to prevent air interference. You must have enough room to install that little tank where you want your transducer to be. The pro is obviously not drilling holes in your boat. The anti is that your echo will be slightly less than under the hull without any interference. The people at Krenzer Marine in Sodus will be able to give you the best advice for your specific boat.

8 hours ago, 4426 said:

So in the spring I’ll be rigging up my boat with Garmin echomaps at the dash. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with in hull transducers. As of right now I plan on using an airmar b117(same as b60 but not angled) but the idea of not cutting a hole in the bottom intrigues me. The in hull I’m looking at is either a   P74 or p79. I believe all these transducers are the same element. Any thoughts or insight is appreciated 

If it's a glass boat cut the hole. If it's done right you will never have a problem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pole setter said:

I would suggest getting ahold of Yankee troller on here Richard will steer you in the right direction and probably get you a good deal on a transducer. 

I have he suggested the through hull option but didn’t have much to say about in hull 

On 12/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, rolmops said:

If your boat is aluminum it won't work. If it is fiberglass it will. If your boat is molded plastic (very few) I don't know.

The ones that I have seen are all installed in their own little water tank to prevent air interference. You must have enough room to install that little tank where you want your transducer to be. The pro is obviously not drilling holes in your boat. The anti is that your echo will be slightly less than under the hull without any interference. The people at Krenzer Marine in Sodus will be able to give you the best advice for your specific boat.

Fiberglass hull, so I’m under the impression that the in hull only effects how deep of water it’s capable of being used in, not necessarily the clarity or the ability to mark fish. I mainly fish Erie in depths less than 130’ so I’m not worried about losing depth capabilities really 

If you want to play with a DIY project this winter try this if your boat doesn't have a foam filled hull liner.

Get a piece of PVC pipe that is big enough diameter for your existing transducer will fit in. Cut one end of the pipe the same angle as your hull and mount the transducer in it so that it shoots straight down without hitting the hull when the pipe is mounted in the hull. Silicone the pipe to the hull.  Fill the pipe with water when you are ready to try it out. If you like the results then you are good to go otherwise move on to some other setup.

I did this with a 19' fiberglass runabout back in the 90's when I fished Oneida Lake and it worked just fine. I mounted it half way between the bow & transom because back them we would drift for walleye and the boat would drift perpendicular to the line of drift. Any fish marks were pretty much under the boat  as we drifted along jigging or dragging nightwalkers. This setup also held bottom as we were on plane tooling along to our fishing spots.