What depth finder/fish finder to get

I'm at the point now of my rebuild which is a 22ft Sylvan Offshore to a wide open fishing boat.  I'm planning on trolling lake Ontario for Salmon and trout.   I now need a Depth finder / fish finder.  I like Garmin products and I'm thinking of the STRIKER Vivid 9sv.  My budget is between $600 and $900.  Any comments on this product or another that would be better for around the same price I'd appreciate the advice.  I've always had very simply depth finders and don't want anything to complicated to operate as I write CNC programs for a living and the last thing I want to do is have to learn another software package that requires a lot of brain power.  Thanks

Whatever you do don't settle for the packaged transducer. They typically aren't great for trolling open water. Add an Airmar P66 to whatever you buy and you will be very happy. If you have specific questions give me a shout.

8 minutes ago, m089221 said:

How do you add a Transducer that doesn't come with the unit if the unit already come with a transducer.  the unit Im referring to does come with it's own transducer

The Striker series isn't a great series for Great Lakes fishing. The GT52HW transducer it comes with has high wide CHIRP sonar and has a power rating of 250 W, which is low. That transducer puts out a sonar cone angle that's < 24*. 

The cone angle of the Airmar I mentioned above is 45* and has a power rating of 600w. These transducers have been staples on the Great Lakes for many years. You can get them in transom or thru-hull models. For your boat I'd recommend a transom mount, which is the P66. Since you like Garmin the series just above the Striker series would be the way to go. I have 7" ECHOMAP units in stock for $440. I can pair it with the Airmar P66 for $160. If you wanted to save a few bucks you could also purchase a Garmin Dual Beam (77/200) transom mount transducer for $80 and still be ahead of the Striker you mentioned. Both transducers I mentioned are traditional sonar transducers and no fancy side/down imaging, which isn't needed for trolling the Great Lakes.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 3:26 PM, Yankee Troller said:

The Striker series isn't a great series for Great Lakes fishing. The GT52HW transducer it comes with has high wide CHIRP sonar and has a power rating of 250 W, which is low. That transducer puts out a sonar cone angle that's < 24*. 

The cone angle of the Airmar I mentioned above is 45* and has a power rating of 600w. These transducers have been staples on the Great Lakes for many years. You can get them in transom or thru-hull models. For your boat I'd recommend a transom mount, which is the P66. Since you like Garmin the series just above the Striker series would be the way to go. I have 7" ECHOMAP units in stock for $440. I can pair it with the Airmar P66 for $160. If you wanted to save a few bucks you could also purchase a Garmin Dual Beam (77/200) transom mount transducer for $80 and still be ahead of the Striker you mentioned. Both transducers I mentioned are traditional sonar transducers and no fancy side/down imaging, which isn't needed for trolling the Great Lakes.

x2