question concerning owasco lake access, [south end]

I have seen some videos of guys putting kayaks in a swampy looking area of owasco probably  in the inlet south end.. No ramp, they took them off their trucks and dumped them in.. i would like to do the same with a small 12 foot aluminum with a 2 or 4 HP, just me  and my grandson for some close to the shoreline panfishing for sunnies, perch, maybe an occassional bass.. No problem using the  private  launch at the south end, don't mind paying at all. Problem is they don't open till 7am, and in summer I like being on the water at 5 am, and on the way home by 11.. Any idea where these guys might have put those kayaks in??.. It was a dirt lot, no gravel or blacktop in sight... bob

Edited by bulletbob

ok, thats great...That way, I can take one of my other boats- a 14 foot side console, or my 17 foot center console, both very sturdy  and durable 70's Grummans that can take some rough water for their size, and are both better suited  for fishing  a good size lake than a jon boat is ... as long as I can get out at the crack of daybreak I'm fine with it... We are discussing  South Shore Marina in Moravia correct?..... bob

2 hours ago, bulletbob said:

Not doing much winter fishing from a boat these days, not set up for that sort of thing.. It would be more of an April  into November time frame... bob

I've launched a 17 ft deep V from the south end marina for many years in the very late fall and early spring without an issue. I know the area you are talking about from the water but can't tell you how to get there by the roads, It was near a creek if memory serves me. Like someone mentioned you can launch at the marina any time of the morning as they have a drop box for the money. Good fishing.

I'll have to get out there and check it out one day. Area was swampy looking, tons of deadfall in the water, no sign of "civilization", and those guys were catching some BIG LMB, and as we know, usually  where there are big bass to  be caught, a LOT of guys know about it.   Not worried about that really, more interested in access to the south end of the lake itself... If I find the place where they put in, fine, as it would be great for  a quick "car topper" trip, where i just pull a little tin boat off the pickup bed , run out  early  to fish    the morning, then just throw the boat onto the truck and take off, all on the cheap...  Just good to know the marina does have a drop box so I can get in very early, and off early as well.  Thanks to all responders for the information... bob

There is no state launch at the south end of Owasco lake. As for launching in the creek, It is quite close to the Marina. Where you would normally swing left to go to the marina, you can also go straight onto the dirt road into the heron rookery nature reserve. After a bit you should be able to turn east toward the creek and launch in there. Beware though, it is swampy and quite often muddy. You do not want to get stuck in there.

1 hour ago, rolmops said:

There is no state launch at the south end of Owasco lake. As for launching in the creek, It is quite close to the Marina. Where you would normally swing left to go to the marina, you can also go straight onto the dirt road into the heron rookery nature reserve. After a bit you should be able to turn east toward the creek and launch in there. Beware though, it is swampy and quite often muddy. You do not want to get stuck in there.

OK, thats good information.. I am in the process of buying a 12 foot aluminum  boat to haul in my pickup. and have a couple little 4 HP motors... i have never been to that area, but that swampy stuff looks like great LMB water  Might be fun to give it a shot one day, even though I am not a LMB kind of guy really.... Truck is 4 whl drive, so unless its really horrible I should be ok... I'll have to check it out along with the marina this spring.... bob