That depends on your rod lengths and if you run holders at the same or different heights and/or angles.

All you need is room for them to work independently without interfering with each other. You can run them closer to each other if you have the proper tip separation.

Edited by John E Powell

I have been running 3 rods per side for many years for walleye on Erie. I started with a 24" track but they worked but were close together. I got another 24" and added it giving me 48" of track with a large enough gap to remove my rod holders giving me an extra 4". As far as I'm concerned all I want or need is enough space between them so I can get to one rod without another one interfering with it. just guessing i would say my reels are about 4" to 5" apart. I go more about the space between my reels as they are the widest part and need the most clearance.

I run Cannon Ratcheting Holders with the 1st track being Cannon. but the second section of the track is Cisco because the price is much less than Cannon tracks. and use the lite bite slide divers. my oldest son and I went together and bought a 1989 26' Sylvan glass boat that has a lot of space for tracks. I added another 24" Cisco track. now i have extra room for my used Traxstech 45-degree fixed holder we use for our nets. we have a net on both sides in case things get hectic. plus I have an extra rod holder just in case one fails.

I have 3 Cannon rod holders/ side for diver rods and an inexpensive triple tree for board rods. Rigger rods go in the Cannon rod holders on the riggers