which autopilot should I get.

I am thinking about adding an autopilot to my Starcraft Islander 221. Mostly for trolling so probably for the 9.9 Suzuki kicker. I currently have a Panther Trollmaster tr5 system , but the actuator does not really allow for fine tuning direction and I  do not want to constantly fiddle around to correct course. Besides, the steering actuator  shorted out yet again. So its time to take the next step.

I have a Garmin Echomap 640 with GPS  system on board and can possibly use that. What autopilot would be the right choice for mostly trolling so I don't have to be at the wheel when I should be fighting fish.

Thank you

Edited by rolmops

Add hydraulic steering and a Raymarie EVO 150.  I did this in my Penn Yan 245 Contender and love it.  The autopilot works with both motors.  

8 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Add hydraulic steering and a Raymarie EVO 150.  I did this in my Penn Yan 245 Contender and love it.  The autopilot works with both motors.  

My current steering is rack and pinion on the dash, but it moves a hydraulic power steering system aided by the boat engine, which is a Cobra I/O. Can that be incorporated? Or do I have to discard the engine driven power steering and go completely the ray marine?

Also would the Raymarine setup be strong enough to power both a main engine piston  and a kicker piston setup?

I took a different approach than usual.  I had a very little used Lowrance outboard pilot hydraulic from a previous boat so that saved me about $1200.  It is integrated into my existing HDS12 gen 2 Touch. I used a Vevor hydraulic steering setup ($350) on my 9.9 Suzuki.  The setup only controls the Suzuki and not the main Mercruiser 4.3.  I find it very responsive since it is not turning the out drive, just the trolling motor. I can trim up the Merc all the way when trolling if necessary.  I mounted the helm in a convenient place on the lower dash and put a 4 in crank handle on it to turn the kicker manually. I have a low water situation at my cottage at times which is problematic for using main power to get to my dock.  I can trim Merc up fully and get to dock with Suzuki manually since I have it set up such that the skeg doesn't go below lowest part of hull.  Very happy with setup.  

PXL_20240424_183633638.jpg

PXL_20240424_183427855.jpg

On 4/27/2024 at 7:47 AM, rolmops said:

My current steering is rack and pinion on the dash, but it moves a hydraulic power steering system aided by the boat engine, which is a Cobra I/O. Can that be incorporated? Or do I have to discard the engine driven power steering and go completely the ray marine?

Also would the Raymarine setup be strong enough to power both a main engine piston  and a kicker piston setup?

Sitex makes a AP unit that works with the cable/power steering system like you have. You can then connect the main to the kicker with a EZ-steer setup. I've fished on boats that have this setup and thought it was loud and not very responsive. I chose to go with a kicker only AP setup when I was faced with the same decision, I run the Garmin TR-1 Gold on my kicker now. Unfortunately the TR-1 Gold isn't supported by Garmin anymore and finding parts is very difficult. But Garmin makes a Reactor 40 AP now that is specifically for a kicker motor, the only downfall with that unit is that it is only compatible with newer kicker motors. I'd love to have hyd steering and AP on the main engine but the cost of the hyd steering conversion on top of the AP cost was something I couldn't justify to myself. 

Thank you guys for your comments. It helped me decide to set aside all the stuff that I somehow thought might make things work and went for a Garmin reactor 40  with an additional screen on the dash.

Edited by rolmops