Aluminum Boats

Im looking into purchasing a used Starcraft Islander, I was just wondering what is to old? How many years are aluminum boats good for until you have to start worrying about rivets beginning to leak? Besides weight what are the pros and cons between aluminum and fiberglass boats? Thanks Guys.....

my 87 islander has seen lots of water and this year 2 rivets finnaly loosened ,but i trailer 5000 miles a year and fish every conditoin so a lot of flexing is going on. a good visual and overall cond. and HOW IT WAS STORRED AND USED will be more of a determing factor to overall cond....i fish lots of diff areas from the hudson to lake erie so alum is great for towing(light) and great on gas 4 to 5 mpg on water at cruse speed 3 mpg running it harder 22 ft length will make your ability to have less blowoff days and a cabin will help protect you when 5 ftrs are splashing over the bow.the lower deadrishe of alum. (sorta flat back without much "V" to them) give it a bumpier ride if you need to run in 3 ftrs(dont) and they side slip more with a cross wind due to this and being light ... but like i said long trailer trips are much better .the second concern with improper stored or older boats is the floor if its soft or musshy you got a 2 week job replacing and another 1000 bucks doing it yourself.... so a good visual and (knowalagable friend ) will tell you all you need to know if the moter and BELLOWS are sound.....if the 17 in prop is worn to 10 inches,the oil in moter is black and there are more splices in the electrial system with black tape than not you might stay away....also a good trailer is a MUST a new trailer will run you 4000.00 ish with dual brakes and sitting along the highway on a burnt out bearing or spindle or rotted flats will not make for a good day fishing with your X friends. A great deal on a boat catch very few fish on rt 390... so your buying a package one that is as important as just the boat . sometimes 8000.00 is cheeper and more fun than 2000.00

Like Ray said. I've seen new boats leak. I fished a '77 Starcraft 22' SS HARD until 3 years ago and loved it. I had to repair a few rivets and a couple of floors in 25 years.

(wore the heads off some of the rivets from loading and launching) Bunk trailer recomended.

If kept in good repair, an aluminum will out last those "plastic boats".

I replaced her with a '97 Lund Baron and its been good so far.

hope this helps,

HM

As Ray K said, aluminum boats don't have the deep-V hull design that Fiberglass boats do therefore they will ride higher in the water and will give you a bumpier ride in a chop. However I woudn't trade my 18 ft "tin can" for anything. 25 yrs old & going strong.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

(knock on wood)

I have had all types of aluminum and I would reccomend a welded aluminum boat like a used Crestliner simply because they use a heavier gauge metal and no rivet problems. For price comparisons, try Boatrader.com

A friend had a Crestliner he bought new and had to have cracks welded to or three times. He may have abused it or maybe a bad trailer setup. take a good look betore you buy one. I kind of like the look of them. :)

My 1984 18 foot Sylvan is aluminum and it is a deep V.The best of 2 worlds.The 17 foot flat rear aluminum boat (Duratech Orion)I had before was so light that it was hard to cut through waves and we were sliding off the side of larger waves.That boat was made in 1963 but it had no problems with the hull or rivets,even after 45 years.