Simrad AP14R or Raymarine X-5 Sportpilot which is better?

HPORT

1st the story... it goes something like this...

About a month ago we picked up a never used Raymarine Sportpilot Plus, installed it and ran our first ( last) sea trial the next day. It was great, set it and turned around and my son and I spent the next hour run up the lake BS and setting DR. Turned the boat around and the AP won't hold a course and eventually just emitted a steady tone, and hasn't worked since.

Looking on this site and many others, the older Sportpilots had their share of problems. The Simrad units seem to be held in much higher regard and haven't heard allot of problems with them. I'm starting to see some Simrad posts about poor technical help, bad units and just more of what I was seeing with the Sportpilots.

Right now the Simrad vendors are holding off selling or stocking the units till the first week of July, I cannot figure that one out. Call Navico and the AP14R and AP12R units are in stock?

Having used an AP on the boat now, I can't see fishing without one....damn technology.

My FF and VHF all have NEMA protocol and having a AP that links with those is really nice...damn technology.

So can those who have Autopilots weigh in on the good and bad of both of these units? From what I can tell, these are the only two units out there that will fit my boat. There have been similar postings about AP but nothing that gives the good bad or differences of the new units availble.

Thanks,

John

98 225 PY

John: I have no experience with the new Sport Pilot so I can't comment on it although your right about the older model's. Over the years I've installed many of the older models & they did have there share of problems but Raymarine did have a fairly decent & knowledgeable support team. On the same note. I've installed my share of Simrad's as well with very few problem's except for one unit that you have probably read about on here. They are a very good unit but if you do have any issues at least for the time being DON'T expect any kind of knowledgeable or for that matter customer courtesy from them. I hope they get there act together after the buy out and merger by Navico before they give a good product a bad reputation because of it.

I installed the new sport pilot 6 weeks ago and love it. The install was a breeze on the set up on the water was quick and easy. I ran into the same soild tone issue the second week out. The problem was low voltage, my ass. batteries shelf life was up. They would no longer hold a charge for a full trip. Once I replaced those the X-5 hasn't missed a beat. I know everyone says this, but it is so true, I don't know how I ever fished without AP before. I'll keep everyone posted but after 6 weeks I have nothing but good things to say about the new X-5.

Thanks for the update.

I've been eyeing the X5 ever since Raymarine announced that they were adding it to their line. I'm not in any rush for a new AP as long as my old King is working but it's long over due for replacement. The luster of the Simrad's is quickly getting dull because of the tech support some of our LOU members are experiencing.

Thanks again for the update.

I have about 20 trips on my Raymarine X5. It has been an excellent unit for me and has held my boat rock solid in every condition experienced so far even a couple of days we pulled early because of the weather.

I am a little concerned because the unit is making a grinding noise for the first hour every trip(just noise no operational issue) -- then it quiets down and runs normal. I hope it is not a drive issue. BUT it aint broke and with the remote around my neck, I don't need a driver and can go all day without touching the wheel. That is what AP is all about!!!

I know nothing about the AP14R, so I can't comment on that.

CC

Just a note to add about the Simrad. I have the AP12H the unit works fine, but keep in mind it's a generic unit. What I mean is that you'll need to purchase an additional fitting kit to install the the pump inline and an extra mount for the sensing unit on the motor.

Don't expect much help from Simrad their customer service is ridiculous!!!!!!!!! :@:@

The information that I needed to solve the installation didn't come from Simrad it came off web sites like this. Because of the poor service at Simrad I would look seriously at the new Raymarine unit!

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced both batteries, they were 2004 vintage. Same steady tone....

The AP14R is still another week out for shipping according to the vendors, Navico still says there in stock?

I'm not completely convinced on either the X-5 or AP14, the X-5 is an easy installation for me as I have the mount from the sport pilot already and it will not require cutting a hole in the bulkhead like the Simrad will, but if I was to decide right now I would pick the Simrad just for the simple reason I think the sport pilot plus was a piece of junk.

I don't want to base my next unit purchase on the faults of the old one, unless Raymarine is still using the same components in a new box.