Need a Trailer/ Dry Docked

Hookedup

What is the best boat trailer you can buy? I have my new Parker 2320 siting in my garage on my new broken junk Venture trailer :@ . The dealer is going to get me a trailer ( when I am done with him). I hall it 2 to 4 times a week and the boat stays on the trailer. Thanks Sean

100_3112.jpg

That sure looks like a galvanized trailer to me and that break is rusted so it must have been like that for awhile. Same thing happened to my 2 year old Shorelander. Manufacturer replaced the trailer but my dealer did a temp weld job till the new frame came in. Maybe someone nearby can weld it for you so you can use it.

gxNBg40.jpg

A couple of floor jacks held the weight of the boat up so the crossmember could be arc welded.

a good welder with some reinforcing plates can fix that in less than a hour the factory weld was also never done right looks like the seam was too far apart and they tried to bridge the weld,and ditto the rust,but was just bad to start with.i ant no expert but have dabbled in welding34 years.. galf. is sparky to weld but some reinforcment will do trick specially on the roads nowadays..you can see the ground edge on the right in pic which means also not enuf heat was distributed to both sides some one rushed a littleto keep it looking neat but strength was lost.... maybe we all better inspect from now on

Ray thats what I said every weld on the trailer looks like crap. I had a guy fix the weld who has been in the welding buisness for 42 years he said the same thing. I will be back out in the morning on Cayuga. Sean

Dear HookedUp,

I do hope the dealer who sold you this "new" rig stands behind replacing the VENTURE broken trailer crossmember. Some words of caution also. Check the capacity plate on your trailer tongue and be sure that your boat is not overweight compared to the trailer capacity. This is a problem with many dealer sales in my experience. Get this rig on a certified scale and get a certified weigh slip in your hand. Most fishing boat rigs weigh quite a bit more then the boat manufacturer's dry weight!! Full fuel tank and rigger weights quickly add up. Be prepared and let us know how you are treated by your dealer. And yes the welds are very questionable for good MIG welds on steel tubing. Congrats to you for checking the running gear before hitting the road! I have seen the results of boat trailer failure on the road and it is ugly!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

I have a 2008 Venture trailer that I checked after seeing your photo. My trailer has one piece formed crossmembers with no welds other than to attach the mounting plates which bolt to the aluminum frame. There's no reason that a fabricated crossmember shouldn't be fine, but it has to have decent welds. I'll certainly be paying close attention to my running gear. Hope you get a satisfactory response from your dealer and Venture.