Alumacraft Classic 165 CS

mac150

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a Alumacraft Classic 165 CS. Its a 16.5 ft boat, 82" wide weighs 900lbs.They have a package with a 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke and a Minn Kota 55 trolling motor. I'll be using it in the Finger Lakes of NY and some trolling along the shore of Lake Ontario. Maybe taking the kids tubing. Is this enough boat for an average day on the big lake? I wouldn't take it out when it's too rough, or too far out when it's calm. How about the trolling power. Is the 12v strong enough, battery life? Will the 50 idle slow enough to troll?

thanks, Mike

Mac,

I am on my 3rd boat in about 5 years. I kept getting bigger boat disease (BBD). I started out with a boat like you are looking at. I think it had a 45 hp 2 stroke, and I was able to troll with it using bags. I also got to smell burning oil the whole trip. It was ok for one adult, two if you reall like each other and there were no seas.

I went to a 17 1/2 footer. A little more comfortable, but I always found myself looking at the 20's vor more room and a better ride.

I now have a Starcraft Fish Master 196. I realy like it , and it is comfortable for two serious fishermen. It has a 115 Merc 4 stroke. I troll with it exclusively.

To sum it up,a I'm gonna say that you'll end up wishing you had gone bigger, and had gone 4 stroke if you buy that boat.

My fishing buddy has an Aluamacraft 19' and it is a great fishing boat .

Also, don't be afraid to shop used.

Good luck- Rusty

I agree with Rusty. If you are thinking about trolling Lake Ontario you should look at something a little bigger. There are some 17-19 footers would work but you need to have a true deep vee hull. The Alumacraft you are looking at is sold as a deep vee but it really is a lighter weight shallower vee model. It would work for you on nice calm days, but you'll probably find in a year you'll be wishing for something bigger.

As far as the motor you could use bags or a trolling plate to slow you down.

I was afraid of that. The dealer in town didn't have any in stock, so I'm going to try to get to Syracuse this weekend. That way I can see one. It's hard to tell from pictures.

I started out looking at used on Craig's List We launched a 17' Mirrocraft with a 90 hp Mercury. It took 2 tries to start it, and it stalled out in neutral. The guy was running gas/oil mix and the motor has an oil reservoir. There was also some paperwork issues.

Thanks, Mike

I converted the exact boat you are talking about into a trolling rig and I still have it but I wound up getting a Starcraft Islander last fall that I use for most of my FLX and Ontario trolling. I have had my Alumacraft 16.5 out in some very dishy stuff and it took it us back to shore every time but it's just not enough boat for a day that's anything less than mild on the FLX or Ontario. Mine has Merc 40 hp 4 stroke and 65 Minn Kota bow mount, I have gone back to using it for bass/pike fishing and I use it for trolling on mild winter days(the EFI 4 stroke will start at 10 deg like it's a summer day) Send me a pm if you would like to see or talk about how I have the Alumacraft set up-It's got Berts Trax/rod holders, down speed,sonar/gps, down riggers,etc.