25-30 lb Big Game for Divers

I have a set of wire divers and run one per side in my spread but was thinking of adding a set of mono divers and was thinking of spoolling up a couple 47's with 25-30 pound Big Game. Does anyone run mono divers on Ontario? Any plus or minus's to running them. just looking for an extra option that won't collect fleas I have some 40 pound power pro set up for divers I run on erie but those will just create a flea bag mess.

thanks

Go shallow with em. You might not like the results if trying to dive deep. Last week off Oswego, the therocline was steady at 100. I don't think you could have fished this with big game on dipsies (I may be wrong).

Several issues when diving deep:

1. You will have significantly more line drag than with PP or wire and thus, less depth.

2. Line stretch will significantly hinder your ability to trip the release. A lightly set release to compensate will result in many more false releases.

3. Line stretch may prevent fish from tripping the dipsy. You really want to PO your wife? Let her fight a king with an untripped #1 dipsy (and don't back off on the speed).

Another option is to spool up a PP slide diver with 30 yards of big game for the leader. It makes for a workable compromise and can function as a deep, silent, tail gunner.

I only plan on running these on the inside waters of less than 250 off wilson, the bar and olctott, I'm a rec fisherman just coming up for 2 weekends in august, if i lived in NY I would just spool them up with wire, I do have 2 wires just looking to add another set of divers.

Thanks guys, keep the input coming

Another point wih the rig mentioned which I should have added to my fisrt response:

4. A 47 reel won't hold enough 30# Big Game to run a diver deep. Once you run a dipsy out to 300 or 375, even a mid size king will be able to spool you. Even a foul hooked 12 pounder will strip you clean.

Go with PP or Fireline. I use 30# Fireline on my braid divers and have had good luck. Braid does collect more fleas than wire but they are easier to remove from braid than from mono.

Remember, that deep with a dipsy is 100 feet. So if you are fishing in water of at least 100 feet, you will want to be able to go deep.

I agree, if you already have two wire set-ups, then either #50 powerpro or #30 fireline. Remember to wrap the braid twice thru the dipsy swivel if tying an improved cinch knot due to braid slippage.

Go Ahead run those mono- dipseys. Another tool in the arsenal, we run them in the spring and later for browns when their shallow 50ft -+ and steelies when their higher in the water column. This year as not been the greatest for mono's other than spring but other years!!!!!!!

20 years ago mono dipsys are all we ran and believe it or not we caught lots of fish on them. Use 30# and run them 200' out on a #2 setting and you will be in that 50' - 60' range.

This past week the majority of fish this past weekend were taken in the top 50' from Sodus west.

Don't worry about them spooling you if you get low on line stop them -- you are using 30# big game the fish will stop and come back to you if you thumb the reel. Not many fish in this lake that can snap good 30# big game after their first run!! First.....the line is very strong, second......a whole lot of strech when you have a whole spool out.

CC