Cannon Unitroll Question

Sea Lion

Hi Gang,

Have had these Cannon Unitroll manual crank riggers for an eon. Problem I'm experiencing now is when I need to drop the riggers to the deep depths, the first 20' or so the rigger releases the cannonball smoothly then the action changes to pulsing. As a result the 6' boom rigger puts huge stress on the gunnels on where they are mounted. Does anyone have a clue what it might be that is causing this....meaning what part would should I look at that might be the cause of the issue. These are pretty uncomplicated. The only thing showing any signs of wear is a washer with what appears to be ball bearings on it and the two washer that butt up against it (they are quite grooved)

Looking for the experienced hand.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi,

I have used the uni trolls for years and i have experienced what you are referring to. You will have to remove the square (early model) or rectangular (late) cover on the opposite side of the rigger from the handle. Then back off handle to remove from the shaft , don't loose the ball bearings and washers and the cone shaped spring ( the grooves in the washers are supposed to be there) . You can the pull the shaft out from the cover side. The drag washer ( composite ) is between two metal washers, one has the grooves for the dogs the other is smooth on the circumference. Check these washers for any damage, if they show wear or grooving you will have to replace them. The drag washers will need replacing for sure (one per rigger).I have always ordered my parts from Cat. Gary's but there are other Cannon parts dealers out there. If you call them I am sure they can fix you up if you describe the parts you need. Don't forget to grease the bearings under the handle when you put it back together. Hope this helps.

Hi Gang,

A sincere thank you to Chinook 35, Tom and John. I am always blown away by the generous and informative advice given by those who frequent this board. Thanks to all you you. I should be in good shape going forward.

Regards,

Bob