Getting closer to actually fish/Rigging advice

As directed by some of you fine fisherman, I've assembled the makings of Dipsey rigs, and now await the install of a kicker for the boat. My questions about the Dipseys are

1. What strength leader should be used between Dipsey and Flasher?

2. How to set the Dipsey...I know typical depths are 70-110, is there some science to what number to set the Dipsey at?

3.Chowder, you adjusted the trigger on the Dipsey so it would not prematurely pop...is that all based on feel, or is there a certain line pull you vcan do by hand to test it. I really do not want to keep accidently setting off the Dipsey like you showed me a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1:I use 30# flea flicker.

2:To get down to those depths(70 - 110) your probably won't be able to set it higher than #1.Remember the higher the number the farther away from the side of the boat it will travel and the shallower it will go.

3:setting the trigger takes a little tinkering.It will kind of depend on the wave action and your depth.I start light and adjust tighter as needed.That being said,once you have it set right it usually only takes an eighth to a quarter turn to adjust for different conditions.Also if you are fishing for salmon on Ontario you can usually set it pretty tight.

Greg, 7'+ (30-40#) on the leader. Not sure what you got for dipsy divers (tell us brand name and size, no 1, mag,etc) but you will want to run them at different depths depending on season, and the depth of the water you are trolling. Do you have something going in the sonar department so you can get bottom depth? If not you may want to think about getting a unit that would give you gps and sonar info- that way you would have surface speed which along with depth are going to be two important tools to duplicate an offering that works. I am not aware of any standard way to adjust the dipsy trip, it's not that big a deal. The day you were on my boat I was readjusting mine because I had been running my Mag divers(which have a lot of resistance) at higher speeds on Lake Ontario, normally you get them where you want them and you are good to go. You will probably want to to set your left/right dial at 1-1.5 to start. Just keep asking questions.

Thanks for the input. I have some LJ Magnum Dipseys, Diawa rod/LC reel combos with 30 lb wire, flies and flashers. What about the Flashers, with the lake water so clear is it best to keep them at lower movement, or like so many other variables, each day wants a little different presentation. Hooked up, what do you mean by a 7 strand set? The boat is getting a kicker installed this week, so we may actually be ready to wet some line next weekend.

Greg

7 strand that is your 30lb wire. Have your dipsey on a 1.5, if I go with my dipsey set on 1 it will get in the riggers if you have a lot of wire out. Run your flashers so they will have the most action but run your flys 26 to 28 inches from the flasher for Lakers. Good luck if you get out next weekend. Sean

The boat was listed as having no electronics, but when we had it surveyed, a GPS unit and a Humminbird 200 DX Fishfinder suddenly appeared. I have yet to work the plot setup for the GPS. Will that give me accurate speed? The fishfinder lists a temp and mph, but I'm not getting mph readings. No manuals came with this stuff, so the Internet is helping piece it together. The fishfinder has a second transducer, just a small round cylinder, so I'm worried it is only a temp sensor, but I was going to contact Humminbird this week to try and figure it out. It definitely shows fish, Friday we cruised to Sheldrake for dinner and at low speed it lighted up with fish in the 60-110 fot range.

Greg

The GPS should give you accurate speed, and most guys trust this even more than a boat or trolling speedo. The small round cylinder may be a trolling motor transducer (mounts to front trolling motor on a bass boat, etc), so you may not need it if everything else is working well. Unless the fishfinder has a paddle wheel sensor, then it doesn't have speed, and you'd rely on the GPS for speed over ground (SOG).

keep asking questions and taking trips with knowledgeable guys and you'll be good to go. Welcome to LOU and good luck!

Greg,it sounds like you have the basics. Using the speed off the GPS should work for the lakers, you want to be in the 2.4-2.6 range. I would target the suspended fish out over 300' , use the fish finder to get depth. Let out 300-320' of wire w/ the mag dipsy set @ 1.5. I was over there today, 8/10, put over 20 fish in the boat- the lake is on fire, good luck!

Thanks,

So you like the "Cat Scratch Fever" Man!

Greg

I do, but that also really is what's painted on the concrete outlet near the pond by my house. If anyone's ever driven west on I-86/Rte.17 in Big Flats, near the airport, you know what I'm talking about...

Good luck with the fish - that's a great lake to fish on