New Pfd Law

I agree with Tom here on two points. I too am on the fence and laws are not meant to protect dumb people from themselves. Over 20 years ago, a buddy and I came across a 13 year old boy who had flipped his small boat in Chaumont Bay. He wasn't wearing a life jacket and had worn himself out in a very few minutes just trying to stay afloat. He couldn't help himself out so yours truly had to go into 50 degree water and help him. We got him out, but I believe that if he had been wearing a PFD, I wouldn't have had to take the risk of going into that very cold water. It was two days before my scrotum reappeared. I fish Lake O on bigger boats, but I am also an avid small boater and kayak fisherman. I fish right up till ice-up, but I wear the gear so that 1) I will survive and 2) If I do need help, someone else doesn't have take risks to help me.

Paul

Brian - I wasn't trying to give them ideas & meant that kind of "tongue in cheek." Sorry if it didn't come across that way but realistically, how many boats are really out there over the winter?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I know what you mean Tom. I was just kidding. Not on Lake O but Seneca has some die hard perch fishermen. If I-bay is open, the perch guys are out there too. With the inflatable PFD's it would not be that much of a bother to wear one.

If we are going to start writing laws to prevent dumb people from themselves, then I assume you agree with outlawing smoking and almost every gun law proposed. Heck, some people get drunk and drive cars...we should outlaw one or the other :devil:

If three adults want to rent a boat and drown themselves I care why exactly?

Yes I agree with outlawing smoking and drinking on a boat ... I did on mine :P We can't outlaw guns or how else would we enforce the no smoking/drinking and pfd law ... duh!

Nick