Trophy Seeker 8-12 PM Genny - Steelhead Feeding Frenzy!!!

Sneaked out of work a little early and decided to run to the deep water. Headed straight out of the river and set up in 325 at about 5:30PM. Out by myself, so just 2 rods. Set up the rigger with 42 second down 85-90 and SS Steelie Dan as a free slider. Crazy B!tch SD/Fly on the wire. Rigger fires within minutes - a small steelhead on the Steelie Dan. Reset and it fires again, this time a 7-8 pounder. You probably see a pattern forming. The Steelie Dan was HOT! After the 5th steelhead on this spoon, it came up completely silver - no paint left! I replaced it with a SS Chicken Wing and ran it for 20 minutes - no go. Remembered I had another Steelie Dan in the cabin. Set it out and it released before I got back to my seat! Traded out the main spoon for an old school mag sized spoon. Black with green stripe and white cup. Knocked most of the rust of the hooks and sent her down. This spoon landed a nice 8-9 pound steelie and finished my night off with a 20-22 pound king at 7:45. Finished up 8 for 12. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours alone! 7 steelies and one king. All fish were spunky and released. Only was able to get 1 rip on the wire when I was resetting the rigger, so I couldn't get to it in time. That was a Hawg Wild SD/Fly out 125 set on 2 to get me in the 40' steelie zone. Worked from 325 to 475. Best production was in 325 to 375. Good screen out deeper, but couldn't get them to go.

Jim,

Great report - this year the Steelie Dan spoon has been what orange crush has been in the past....without a doubt it has been our best spoon.

I've been a bit disappointed with the paint on the DW spoons this year myself - they seem to be wearing off quite easily.

Thanks for the report!

- Chris