Cayuga 9/25

Reel Doc

Went for an evening trip out of Taughannock. Had the lines wet by 5. My daughter was admittedly tired after cranking in the laker from 270 back on a Dipsey, and my oldest son was amped about his first landlocked. He even had Dad hold the rod once the fish was boatside so he could net it to boot. :clap:

The only downer was just before heading in for a lakeside weenie roast, we let my wife trade the wheel for a reel that happened to have a big laker attached. She brought it from 280 back to less than 40 and it tossed the hook. :@

Every hit was on a fly, spoons could not trigger a thing. Needless to say, the family voted for future evening trips. I still cannot get any takers for a crack of dawn troll.

Greg

TsnLrM0.jpg

TsnLzfr.jpg

As always, thanks to all of you for the input along the way. Moving forward, do we need to change anything as the days get shorter and cooler? Someone posted recently about typically using a 1.5 trolling speed. Is it best to slow it down, or as most of you have commented, keep changing until you find what the fish like on a given day.

Thanks,

Greg

FYI: My son who caught the salmon wanted to fillet it, which he did with some assistance, and cook it...we broiled it after basting in lemon/garlic marinade. Good stuff, and I like the idea of gaining some long term fishing partners. ;)

Hi gaj, Speed depends on what you have in the water for gear and lures, I almost always run 1.8 or faster at the ball. This time of year I run a mix bag of spoons, flashers and crank baits. The crank baits in silver/black run from 20 to 50 down are always good this time of year. Sean