Matt's buck

Jeff J

good going matt ..now that papa spilled the beans how about a little story ??? sorta like this my first year hunting alone (16) i was walking down the "new pipeline" behind moms.It was getting a little towards dark and my pace was that more than usual for hunting. But due to the new grass and lack of leaves i was quiet for my speed. Half way down the hill i looked to my right and there stood a small 4 pt drinking from a small waterhole from recent rains, after not beliving i was facing my first buck for the first time (not a tail running away) .I paniced and reacted in the same thought .i raised the gun and shot (40 yds) .Istood there amazed that the deer was still standing even more so it continue to drink as if ,not as much as a leaf was ruffled.I pump in another shot and put another dead eye bead on him as he raised his head ..Totally focused on the kill zone I squeeze the trigger for the second time and he drops like a ton of bricks (neck shot). So in reality i missed the aim for spot for the second time due to that dreaded disease "BUCK FEAVER" ..well in those days i didnt have a pocket knife to gut it so after looking over"MY FIRST DEER" EVER checking out everything from its rack to its hooves ,I drag it to the bottom of the hill with no rope or gun sling..Once i got to level ground the drag was getting pretty tuff so i do the only thing i knew at the time ,I pick it up around my neck like a "deer scarf" holding its leggs with one hand and my gun in the other the 1/2 mile walk home seemed effortless dispite the added weight to my small at the time frame (99lb wrestling weight)..After telling mom and dad my mighty tale of my first buck ,They said almost at the same time how DUMB it was to carry out the deer on my shoulders ,a thought that never entered my youthfull brain 36 years ago..ahh yes my first shotgun 16 ga ithaca hand me down model 37 that couldnt put a slug in the same hole in a hundred shots but she droped many rabbits ,grouse and squirrels..Before "MY FIRST BUCK"......Thanks AL Olmstead for my first gun...its still im my case.. ...(see what we mean when we say youll never forget that first BUCK!!)

my fist hand me down shot gun is a ithaca model 37 featherlight 20 gauge that has a deer slayer on it now that my uncle gave my grandfather for his b day and since then has takin alot of deer and still in the feild ! was bout new in the war by my grandfather was past down to me by my father and my first deer was a doe about 45 yards and i shot, hit a tree , well then she runs and stops about 15 yards i shot and hit a tree she really starts wheelin along then and i shot hit her in the neck and there was my fist deer but i did hit another tree i deflected and hit her . so let luck be with me on that one !